Chapter 15 - Midnight Diner Retreat

Felix pushes down on the rigid breaks, and the truck screeches horribly. If I had known that his go-to was bringing the car to a halt while going sixty kilometres per hour, I would have worn two seat belts. Our bodies both jerk forwards and then fall roughly back to the cushioned seats.

I'm surprised when the car behind us pulls over to the side of the road as well. I had expected the follower to keep driving out of fear from being found-out. Now they're only a few feet away from us. When their doors open, I worry for a moment that Mr. Caplan is going to come stepping out with a devilish smile plastered on his face.

Opening my own car door, I start walking towards the faceless figure, whose features are covered by a mixture of shadows and an old black hoodie. The sight allows me to take a sigh of relief – Mr. Caplan wouldn't be caught dead in such common clothes.

Felix's voice calls me from behind, as he staggers to catch up with my long strides. "Ali, I don't think meeting the masked killer halfway is your best strategy."

I put my hands on my hips. The three of us are standing together in a circle, close enough that I can now see the identity of our mystery stalker.

I should have seen this coming.

Zak shoots me a nasty smile, his pearly white teeth contrasting against dark, smooth skin. "Hey Ali. Long time no see."

His greeting causes me to lose all sense of language. For someone who's just been discovered as a night prowler, he doesn't sound the least bit ashamed. His voice is filled with a sort of happy menace. It was no accident that we noticed him following us – I'm sure of that now. Zak intended to be seen. He knows better than anyone how much I hate the unexpected, the feeling of unpreparedness. There are so many things I want to say to him, but each word gets mixed together with the last. None of them could ever make it past the bulge taking residence in my throat anyways.

"What are you doing here Zak?" I finally manage to sputter.

"What am I doing here? How about you? You're the one taking a road trip with this... this.." Zak stutters, pointing at Felix. "He's basically a stranger, Ali. You have the nerve to come at me for bad morals after what you two have been pulling? I saw the nightclub break-in. I can only imagine what you two were up to in there."

I hate how he's trying to make me feel guilty. What Felix and I are doing – he could never understand it. He's letting his emotions get the better of him and it's pathetic.

"For the last time, Felix is helping me with my investigation."

He laughs angrily. "What the hell does a nightclub have to do with your journal article? Stop lying and admit it. You're a hypocrite Ali. You ghosted me for cheating when all you've been doing for the past week is shacking up with Richie Rich."

"You really want to know what we were doing tonight? Mr. Caplan, our English teacher, is a complete and utter phony. His entire novel was stolen from one of his own students. Felix is helping me get proof so I can go to the police." I can't stop myself from talking, from letting out everything that's been brewing inside of me. "What's your excuse, huh? I saw you that morning Zak. I saw you and Sam together in front of her locker, sharing goo-goo eyes and petting each others' faces. You skipped Dylan's party that night because you were with her. Don't deny it."

"God, you really don't get it, do you? How self-centered you are? Remember when I told you I had something I needed to talk about? Something important? It wasn't so I could admit that I was a dirty cheater. My dad died that afternoon. When I got home from school after driving you home, I found him lying down on the kitchen floor. He had a heart attack. He was gone by the time the ambulance came." Tears begin falling onto his cheeks. "While you and Felix were trotting around town playing Clue I was having the worst week of my life. And Sam was there for me. She was there for me more than my own fucking girlfriend was. So who's the bad guy now?"