Panic (fluff)

Warnings: panic attack, fluff, language

A/N: this is based on my personal experience with anxiety so it may not be the same for you but please don't belittle the way I've written it!! 

Word count: 976 (I know it's short :( ) 

 You knew that it was going to happen at some point, it's been on your mind all day. You aren't exactly sure what triggered it, you just know that it happened.

As soon as breathing starts to become difficult for you, you decide it's time to leave. So, despite the fact that Professor Snape is in the middle of talking, you push your chair back and rush out of the room, leaving all of your belongings behind.

Snape had begun to say your name as soon as you stood, but you couldn't be bothered. You just knew that you needed to get out.

Out, out, out, out, out, out. This room was beginning to suffocate you, your mind too full to make your body work the way it's supposed to. That's the precise reason that you don't even make it to a private room, your dorms, anywhere that no-one would see you. No, you collapse in the middle of the hallway.

Your legs just gave out, they had felt like jelly while you had been trying to get away, to get air, so it was only a matter of time before you could no longer walk.

Your chest feels heavy, like someone has set the weight of the world on top of it and forgot to take it off. Your chest falls up and down quickly as you try to breathe. Just breathe, (y/n), just fucking breathe.

It's useless nothing is working to help you be able to breathe correctly. Everything is collapsing around you and it feels like you're underwater. The world is muffled. Everything is too much and not enough at once.

You're lightheaded and shaky, about ready to pass out because of your lack of oxygen. It feels like someone is squeezing your heart, trying to crush it within the palm of your hand, but wanting you to die slowly. Hot, salty tears run down your face as you continue trying to breathe, but it only gets harder for you. By now you're only getting a quarter of the air you usually get and your brain is starting to shut down.

Black spots swim in your vision, causing you to feel even more disoriented. You just need to calm down, calm down. No matter how much you tell yourself to just be calm, it doesn't work. Everything is overpowering your logic right now and you just can't stop panicking.

You can feel every blemish in the ground under your fingertips, there's a muffled ringing in your ears, and the world is turning dark around you.

Then you feel a weight on your shoulder. And you want to look, you really do, but you just don't have the energy to turn, and even if you did it's doubtful that you'd be able to recognize anyone's face right now.

Whoever was trying to comfort you seems to realize that you just can't. You can't speak, you can't breathe, you can't see, you can't hear, you just... can't.

They pull you into their arms, encircling you with a warmth that is familiar and foreign at the same time. You feel like you're swaying and you realize that whoever this is has decided to rock you back and forth. You can feel someone's hot breath on your ear, like they are speaking to you, but it's too muffled.

Usually, your panic attacks will end when you've passed out from lack of oxygen and exhaustion, there's usually no one there to help, so this is a strange feeling. Having someone hold you close and try to calm you down.

You decide to try your best to focus on whatever the person is saying to you. Slowly the muffled voice becomes louder and you can hear what the person is saying.

"You'll be alright, love, come on, just breathe with me." The voice sounds so familiar, but your scrambled and frantic brain can't remember who exactly it is.

The only response you can give the person is a small little squeak of distress.

"It's Draco, love, it's me. Please, breathe with me, can you do that for me?" He sounds a little distressed himself, but you can't worry about that right now, you need to breathe.

You slightly nod your head up and down and Draco says softly, "Alright, deep breath in." Draco takes a deep breath to try and demonstrate. You try to follow his instructions and copy the action, but you just end up sputtering and coughing, depriving yourself of more air.

Draco rubs a hand up and down your back to try and calm you. "It's alright, darling, let's try again." He breathes in deeply and you follow, although your breath is shaky and only about half of his.

"Good, (y/n), now out." He dramatically releases a large breath and you follow, releasing the air.

Draco continues to walk you through the steps until you are breathing at a decent pace, and then he pulls you even closer to him and starts humming softly in your ear. The sound brings you comfort, you're safe here, Draco is safe, nothing can or will hurt you while you're in his arms. Your shaky breathing levels out and you're left with the feeling of absolute, complete and total exhaustion.

You don't say a word as you go slack in Draco's arms and just let him hold you, keeping you safe and sound and warm. The warm, fuzzy feeling of being loved washes over you and you sigh. Safe. You're safe.

Sleep begins to invade your senses because of the comfort you're receiving, but you try your best to fight it.

"Sleep, darling, we both know you need it. I'll keep you safe, I'll protect you. I love you." You let sleep wash over you being held by the man you love. Everything is going to be okay. 

Author: K