004. rough times ; parts one & two

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER 2.

── ♢ ♢ ♢ ──

"𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐊 you for coming everyone." 

Two days had past since the Northern Troops arrival to the South. According to my wonderful uncle, since Korra opened the Southern portal, they need to protect it from the people who would do the spirits harm. Unfortunately, the troops have been bothering everyone in the town, so Dad decided to hold a meeting here at home.

"I know these last few days have been very troubling," he acknowledged as several men and women sat down in a circle in the living room.

"Troubling?" 

We turned to look at Varrick, who was helping himself to some kale cookies Mom made from the assorted refreshments on a small wooden table against the wall.

"Troubling is when I get that itchy rash that won't go away and Zhu Li's not around to scratch it. This is shocking! Nay, sickening! But these kale cookies? Opposite. Remind me to get the recipe later," he murmured the last part to his assistant, Zhu Li.

"What's your point, Varrick?" Dad pressed sternly, quite annoyed at the slender man.

He frowned, dropping more cookies onto his plate in his hand. "My point is, Unalaq's already booted our chieftains out of their palace. How long before he starts telling us what kind of cookies we can eat?!"

"Probably a couple of days." Zhu Li answered dryly.

His bottom lip jutted out, looking over behind his shoulder where his assistant stood with hands folded. "Rhetorical question, Zhu Li, you gotta keep up."

He turned back around and waved his arms around, enraged, which caused the cookies on his plate to fly out. "Not to mention, I've got a cargo ship full of halibut that's rotting thanks to this harbor lockdown? Who wants to buy a ship full of stinking fish?!"

My eyes widened as he slammed his plate onto the floor, which for some reason, no one had cared to notice as they listened to him with intent. 

He frowned once again and muttered, "Seriously, it's not rhetorical. I need to sell these fish."

"Chief Unalaq is here to help the South," Korra countered, now standing up to face everyone. "He wants to show us how to restore balance with the spirits so they'll stop attacking."

"The only spirit I'm interested in restoring is our spirit of independence! Am I right, people?!" Varrick shouted, wildly pumping a fist into the air.