three: what's mine is yours

THREE: What's Mine Is Yours (Y)

The studio lights burn your eyes painfully, and your throat has been stinging distantly of tequila ever since you took the first shot.

Jimmy's been sending you question after question, analysing and picking apart every aspect of your 'relationship' with Tom for the past five minutes. So far, you and Tom have answered with your stories aligned, and you thank yourself for having the stroke of genius to go over some essential details with him before the show. If you'd just come out here and winged it, as he had foolishly suggested, you know you would've tripped up by now.

It's all going as expected, until near the end of the interview when Tom's words split through the air and shock you completely:

"Well, chemistry is a very important part of any relationship, Jimmy, and you know what they say: enemies make the best lovers."

Enemies make the best lovers..?

Even as the conversation moves on, you feel the words lingering in your mind. Tom's been playing the role of your doting boyfriend very well all evening, but there has been something a little too earnest about his eyes and his remarks, and it's left you feeling... odd. Exposed, perhaps. He's out here claiming that enemies make the perfect foundation to a loving relationship, and though you're almost certain it was a throwaway comment, you can't stop yourself from over-analysing it.

"Well, thank you to both of you for joining us tonight," Jimmy says finally, dragging you from your stupor. "It's been a pleasure, as always. I wish the happy couple all the best!"

You're nestled up very close to Tom on the sofa. His hand is on your knee, and you've got your arm wrapped around his side. You hadn't discussed any of this beforehand, but you'd followed his lead when he'd first stretched out his palm. Casual displays of intimacy, according to your PR team, are everything, and it's been almost nice to have his fingers resting on your leg, acting as a grounding presence. Any time you said something a little risky, he'd squeeze your knee - and you likewise would use your hand on his side to pinch him gently, like a reminder to stop talking whenever he came close to slipping up.

"Thanks, Jimmy," Tom says. He looks around to face you, his brown eyes warm and round. "We've had a great time."

You nod along and pull your hand away from Tom's side as you sit up a little straighter. "Yeah, it's been amazing."

Jimmy throws out a few final farewells, and the audience descends into applause. As the bright sign that reads LIVE flickers out, the cameras stop rolling. Almost immediately, you feel lighter. With a loud groan, you stretch your arms out behind your head and collapse back into the sofa, your posture sagging. Besides you, Tom mirrors you, his legs spreading and his knee knocking against yours as you glance over and share a cautious smile.

"That went well, didn't it?" You ask quietly. Jimmy's wandered off, and around you, people are rolling up cables and wires. You can feel the eyes of some of the audience on you, so you reach down to play with his hand. Tom lets you fiddle with his fingers, and you gulp as you draw your fingertips across his soft skin.

"Yeah," Tom agrees. His eyebrows furrow together as he looks at you curiously. "What was the question you answered with Harrison?"

You scoff. "That's a secret."

You'd almost died when you'd read the card. As much as you'd disliked the prospect of doing a shot, the question had read 'Which of Tom's friends would you consider dating?'. Though you feel no romantic attraction towards Harrison, he's the only one of Tom's friends you know. You couldn't admit it to Tom live, because PR would have had your head, but you don't particularly want to fess up now, either.