nine: expiration date

Nine: Expiration Date (Y)

---

It's raining in London. Tracks of grey, miserable water stream down the dirty window, obscuring the view of the city beyond. Your fingers are cold as you hold a mug of stale tea, the liquid pale and long-past its best. You'd poured it an hour ago, intending to throw it back and pull yourself out of your stupor, but you'd failed.

Today is the end of your relationship with Tom - the expiration date, as your team likes to call it. In a move of obscene pathetic fallacy, the weather curled across London seems to emanate your innermost thoughts. It's cloudy and grey, darkness settled across the sky. In the distance, the clouds grow blacker, and a part of you wonders if it'll thunder later.

You feel a tear slip from one of your eyes, and the warm line traces down your cheek as you sniffle. With slow movements, you finally put down the mug, crossing your arms over your chest as you continue to stare out of the window, vacantly. You're in your London flat, your belongings in boxes around you. With the conclusion of a final filming project comes the end of your lease, and when you leave London tonight on a plane, you leave behind your flat, your job, and your boyfriend.

Your boyfriend.

Your fake boyfriend, who sometimes acts like your real boyfriend, but has made it all too clear that he is only, only, only your fake boyfriend.

A scowl springs out across your face, and your fingers curl into fists at your sides.

You thought you'd been hurt by Tom before. For years, you've felt anger towards him - resentment, irritation, burning frustration. You've cursed him out on countless occasions, publicly denounced him, and watched on as he's returned every move you've made against him with equal ferocity. At almost every given opportunity, Tom has launched blow after blow at you, but you'd taken it. You had accepted that that was just your relationship - that sometimes two people don't get along, and sometimes they thrive off irritating the other. His insults didn't touch you - not really, not like this. They'd riled you up and they'd made you seethe, but they were just insults - just empty, irritating insults, which you'd returned with a smile on your face. But now...

For the first time, Tom Holland has actually broken your heart.

It's painful when you think about him, as you cast your mind back to your last day together. You'd been so excited, so hopeful, when you'd turned up at his place in LA, and as he'd laid you down and you'd held one another, you'd felt the love you have for him grow. Each time he'd kissed you, you felt your love deepen. Each pass of his hands over your skin made your heart race, your mind shake. You'd been waiting on the right time to open your mouth, say the three golden words, and then propose giving your relationship a real shot, only for Tom to jump the gun and tell you that he, in fact, loved you.

To have Tom stand opposite you and tell you that he loves you - only to immediately follow it up with a retraction - has shattered you. You can't stop thinking about the moment that you'd let yourself believe, for one brief, shocking second, that Tom reciprocated your love - that Tom had softened out, and grown to love you, too. His words had knocked you off-guard, but fuck, if they weren't the sweetest three words you'd ever heard. You'd been fully prepared to drop everything and jump into his arms, only for him to add–

"No... Wait, no."

You are upset. You are so fucking angry. You are a whirlwind of tears and clenched fists and stiff jaws. The more you contemplate it, the hollower you feel. You have never known heartbreak as pronounced as this.

You hate the power that you've given Tom. Hate that you'd walked straight into this, eyes open. You can't even blame it on blind infatuation, because you'd been aware at every moment how dangerous your budding feelings were, just you'd chosen to ignore the warning signals, too distracted by Tom's easy smile and his kisses. You hate that you let him break your heart, hate that he's emerged from this unscathed when you feel the weakest you've ever been.