Chapter 1

"Trauma"

Red lights fill the small space, cold concrete floor, bagged body in the center of the floor. Men chatter in the distance, locking the door. Screams down the hall shake the frequencies in the air.

"Trauma is very stressful on the brain. It can cause memory loss, hallucinations, and depression. They all look different. Trauma on a child or early teen see the world and environment around them a frightening place. Unsafe and horrible. An older teen will outrage and find copes, others may take it far enough to end they're life. Adults will go crazy for some, going off and becoming criminals, drug addicts, alcoholics, rapists, etc. Trauma takes everything good away from you, it is not something to take lightly. It is something that many, so many people, never recover from.." Woman at the stage explained

  Eight years later

Mila's high heels hit the floor at a steady beat, every foot step means one more head turned to look. Brown curly hair dances with the wind, with every sway means another whisper. Those green eyes capture you into a dungeon locked forever, there is no escaping her beauty. Her light brown skin is so clear, looks so smooth, guys drool over her. You could say she is the pretty bully, but not likely. She is the sweetest person you could ever meet, she lives for God and helps others in need. Mila is my best friend, how so I can never comprehend.

"Are you writing about me again?" Mila sat down and asked

"What makes you think that?" Elise questioned

"You did not take your eye off me as I walked over. You only focus that hard on a person or thing when you are writing."

"You know me better than anyone."

"What did you write? How I tripped over air and almost landed in Jaxson's car."

"You did not, merely a simple pep in your step. I do not think I have ever seen you fall."

"Not true, how about that time I fell over your coffee table?"

"I don't remember that at all."

"Right.."

Bell rings

"Time to go, math awaits us."

"I write, I draw, I do not do math."

"Elise you cannot just sit here all day, you have to learn. I won't let you write your life away."

"You sound like my mother, besides there are plenty of authors out in this world."

"Agreed but they also needed to have a second life in order to survive."

I always hate when she makes valid points, makes my head swirl. Especially when it is about math.

"Fine."

       We sit down in class, she is always by my side. In all my classes in every grade. Never apart, I enjoy it thoroughly. I always thought how lucky we are to have made it to sophomore year and have never had a class apart. She tells me it must be a sign, whatever that means. Mila is a true example of what everyone in the world should be like.

"Elise? Are you listening?" Ms. Lock asked

Shit I must of dozed off again, I have got to get that under control. But why? I can go into a better world!

"Elise?" She asked again

"I am sorry Ms. lock, the answer is 311." Mila responded for me   

Ms. Lock nodded and sighed, I know that is not the answer. I even knew that, why did she nod? Oh well, it gets her off my back. I can go back and daydream some more or the whole day. Makes time go by so much faster and to were I can enjoy it. I really would love to be a pirate, free and savage the seas. No rules, no one higher then me, I can choose to be alone or have a crew. Mila would be captain, she can navigate better than I can. My ship? Black pearl is legend, but I would want to create my own ship to make that legendary. Everyone would tell tall tales about my ship, never see it or me but know about it. How I like things, very ideal.

Mila walks me home everyday, making sure I don't get kidnapped or some crazy thing. That would never happen to me or her or anyone in that school. We are all boring and live in a boring ass state, Indiana. How fucking cool. Bunch of corn farms, factories, and Amish. Damn Amish people are so weird, I heard they fuck there horses. Sickening.

"Alright home safe, call me around 9?" Mila sighed in relief.
"Yeah of course, just shoot me a text. I'll just be writing some more, maybe I'll hang out with victor."
Mila looked at me as if she wanted to slap me across the face.
"Very well, tell him I said hi." Mila could barely get that sentence out and walked away.

I don't get what has gotten into her, she has made zero sense all day long. Oh well, probably just her time of the month. Oh my house you ask? Just every other house here, two story with basement. Farm land style, gross. I could live without all the horse shit. I throw my stuff on the floor next to my desk. Victor is laying on my bed reading a book, with his shoes on too!

"Victor get the hell off my bed with your shoes on!" I complained.
"Bossy today? What creep tried to bite your ass?" Victor snarled.
"Asshole."
"You know you love me, love. I could be a murderer and you'd still fall at my feet."
"Sometimes I feel like I almost have to, but you are not wrong. As usual." I sat next to him.

My door opened with my mom standing in the doorway, she held a plate of dinner for me. Grilled chicken with rice, one of my favorites believe it or not.

"I brought you some dinner before it gets cold" mom stated.
"Did you forget about victor? What's he supposed to eat?"
My mom stood there confused for a moment and then nodded quickly, rushing away to get another plate. Everyone is acting so weird today, almost like they lost they're minds. She came back with another plate and both sat on my dresser.

"Are you gonna eat victor?" I asked while I stuffed my face.
"Vampires don't eat food, love."