Writing Prompt #1 Marriage Pact

I started at the clock on the wall, waiting for it to chime and hit 7:00 pm. I was making it my goal to stay in the office until 7, so then I would have just enough time to get to the bus that would take me home. This way, I would have the excuse to not talk to anyone at the front desk as I left work.

Ding, ding, ding. The clock's hand hit 7, and I gathered my stuff and stood, wincing as I stretched.

Tap, tap. I froze. I was on the 5th floor of the building, and a bird rarely tapped at the window. I took a deep breath and told myself that it was just a bird. I started towards the door but;

Tap, tap, tap. There it was again. Maybe it was just some magpie or raven that saw something shiny in the room. I walked briskly towards the door, trying to convince myself that it was just a bird.

Tap, tap, knock, knock, knock. The quiet tapping suddenly turned into an impatient knocking, and any hopes of it being a bird withered up inside me. As I put my hand on the door-handle I heard somebody threateningly say;

"Alexander Dean Thatual, you open this window now or so help me!"

I sighed defeatedly and turned around. A man's silhouette was crouched on the outside window seal, and I could feel the glare that the man was probably shooting at me. I walked over to the window and opened it.

"Why are you here?" I hissed at him. "If your found here, somebodies going to get into trouble. And that somebodies going to be me!"

"Oh boo hoo." the man said pushing me away from the window as he stepped in. "You'll just get told not to stay late and probably get a bodyguard or two."

"And have them breathing down my neck for the next 5 weeks!" I glared at him as he walked over to my desk. "I've already experienced that and I don't want to deal with it again, and don't touch that Quinton!" I smacked his hand away from one of my drawers.

"Hey!" He wined, rubbing his hand, "Why did ya do-wait, you've already had bodyguards?" His eyes narrowed. "What happened?"

"What? No, no. I-I said that I-I have a-a friend, wh-who's experienced that." I stuttered, beginning to panic. Quinton couldn't find out about that incident.

"What happened?" He repeated, walking towards me.

My breath started to quicken as I backed away, trying to not look like I was lying. "I-I told you! N-nothing happened!"

He continued to walk closer to me, trapping me against a desk. I tried to slide away to the right, but he blocked that escape with his arm, causing me to yelp out in surprise. "I-I have to go. My, my bus is going to leave, and then I'll have to w-wait 45 minutes for the next."

"Alexander Thatual," I flinched at my full name, "what happened?" Quinton's voice lowered into a growl as he asked for the third time, and I tried to avoid his eyes while remaining silent.

"I-I told already told you," I mumbled, avoiding his eyes, knowing all too well that if I looked, he would know, "nothing happened." I lied again.

He sighed, shaking his head. "We both know that you're a terrible liar when it comes to me." his voice softened, "now tell me, what happened?" His left hand traveled up my arm and stopped at my shoulder.

"There was just a little incident, and it might have involved a targeted bombing." I couldn't meet his eyes when I said this.

"Who was the target." His cold growl sent chills down my spine.

"It was just some-"

"Who was it?" He used his left hand to turn my face towards his, and he looked me dead in the eye, repeating himself, "Who was it, Alex?"

I bit my lip, but couldn't look away from his gaze.

"Alex?" His voice softened again, dropping into an almost whisper. "Were you the target?" By the tone of voice he used, I knew he must already know the answer, but his gaze was pleading me to say no. I sighed, tearing my eyes away from his gaze.

"I was." I could feel his body stiffen.

"Where were you hurt?" His worried tone made feel guilty, and I knew that I couldn't lie about my injuries, cause he would find out.

"I dislocated my shoulder, and I still have a giant bruise on my back. But I'm fine really!" I put a hand on his chest, trying to push him away, but failing.

He shook his head. "I came here to wish you a happy late 30th birthday, but now you've got me all worried. Which rival gang do I have to destroy now?"

"What?" My head shot up. "Your in a gang?"

"Oh no, I'm the mafia leader darlin'." He smirked, "And don't tell me you forgot about our pact."

"What?" I tried to remember what pact he was talking about.

"Alex," he leaned closer, whispering in my ear, "our pact that if we are both unmarried by 30, we'll marry each other. And you, my darlin', are as single as they come."

I could feel his smirk as my face grew beet red. "I-I remember." I could now vividly remember the drunken' pact that we made, and remember that we had sealed it with a kiss. I gulped as I remembered that he was older than me, so that meant that he was already 30.

"S-so?" I stammered.

He grinned, "I hope you're ready to use those vacation days that you haven't been using for the past 5 years."

"What? How'd you know?" I was in utter confusion.

"I pay attention," He said, "now come." He grabbed my hand and dragged towards the window. "I think you might have missed your bus now, but I can give you a ride, for a kiss." He smirked.

I felt my face heat up. "Fine. But you only get one, and that's because you made me miss my bus." I pushed past him, "I'll see you downstairs."

"Oh no you don't." He grabbed my wrist, "If you want to leave through the doors, then it will be two kisses, one now and one after, for payment."

I smirked, narrowing my eyes. "Ok then, no need to be impatient." And I grabbed his tie, leaned against a desk, and pulled him into a kiss.