Chapter Two - Music of the Crystal Hall

Witch was the word used now. In the old songs they were called sirens. They were the monsters in children's tales told to keep little ones from wandering beyond the border of Atlantis. Like the open ocean, sirens were shrouded in mystery and foreboding.
But there was one Mer who still knew the truth about them. The trouble would be convincing him to talk about it. Belen was old. Very, very old. Any day now Eleni expected to come to his favorite place in the garden and find nothing but a fine mist of bubbles.
"We live, and we die, and we turn to the sea foam that wanders forever on the crests of the ocean waves. It is our lot and our joy as merfolk to be thus."
Her grandmother's words echoed in her memory. Grandmother, who used to tell her such wondrous stories. Who helped her plant her wild garden. Who kept her secret of the shipwreck and the boy, a secret she hadn't even told Nerise. How she missed her grandmother. There were so many questions she still had to ask. But three hundred years was all any Mer gets, and Grandmother was no exception. It comforted Eleni to know that she had lived so fully, that she was so tired, always forgetting things and moving slowly because of her aches, and now she could rest. Perhaps someday even Eleni would want to rest. She couldn't imagine it now, not with her whole being bursting at the seams with questions.
Balen was not in the garden, but it was not because he had turned to foam. The servant there told her he would be in a council meeting all morning.
No matter. There was the dance tonight. He would be there.
Eleni spent the rest of the day in the sun. She left the satchel tucked away safely in her room, and whenever she thought of it, her heartbeat pattered with excitement or fear, she could not tell which.
Much to her sisters' relief, Eleni returned to the palace in time for them to fuss over her appearance. Only Nerise gave her a curious look, but she said nothing, so neither did Eleni. The others - all five of them - banded together to tame Eleni's wild appearance. They sat her down on a stool and swarmed about her in a tangle of fins and fingers to make her presentable. Caliope's seal pup sat in Eleni's lap while they fussed over her with flowers, clothes, and jewels. She was to sing at the banquet and they had vowed to tame her wild appearance.
"This brings out her eyes."
"No, braid it like this. What have you been doing, Ella?"
"More gems; she must sparkle!"
"It's a shame your skin is so dark. Oh well, never mind."
She suffered her long night black hair to be tugged, twisted, tucked, and beguiled with small gleaming pearls until it looked like the starry night sky cascades from her head. That, at least, did make her smile.
The gong sounded, and Eleni shooed the little seal pup off her lap and pushed up from the stool. All together she and her sisters filed out of the room. Their different colored tails and translucent fins reminded Eleni of the flowers that grew in their gardens, waving gracefully. If those flowers had voices, they would surely sound like the seven princesses of Atlantis, melodic even in conversation.
In the hall, Nerise caught her elbow, causing her to slow a little behind the others. Now Eleni saw the shadow behind the sea green eyes.
"I saw the scroll in your bag. That isn't what you're singing tonight, is it?"
A little flutter went through her chest. "No, of course not. I'm singing Father's favorite."
"Good." Some of the shadow in her face cleared. "That other song is not nearly lovely enough."
Not nearly lovely enough? Hadn't she noticed the darkness in it? The power? It was more than simply not lovely enough, couldn't she see that?
She almost told her. She thought of catching her arm as they trailed after their older sisters. They'd be able to pause unnoticed in the corridor for a few minutes, and Eleni could tell her of the dark song, of the danger, of her plan. She could ask her to go with her, to share in the adventure. They could walk the earth together.
But she didn't. She told herself it was for Nerise's safety, but she knew, deep down, it was because she didn't believe Nerise would come. Would she even believe her about the dark song? Only the elder Mer knew of it. And herself. Perhaps Nerise couldn't even hear it, and there wasn't time to try and convince her. No... her sister wouldn't understand. Eleni could not bear her disapproval. Nor risk it. Better to wait. When she returned, they would spend long hours into the night discussing all she'd seen and done. Then, maybe, hopefully, Nerise would see what she saw, hear the songs she heard.
The princesses reached the grand celebration hall; the pride of the pride of the palace. Sea glass walls and ceiling glittered with a thousand facets in the orblight that illuminated the colorful finery of the courtiers filling the waters. More vast than even the throne room, and engravings of past royal families interwoven with songscript covering the marble floor and crystal pillars,it was impossible not to be awed. To Eleni, the whole space felt like a deep breath: expansive, filling, bursting with life yet somehow calming. And with the sound of merfolk keening and trilling and laughing to one another, this was a place of music. Some called it the heart of Atlantis, and Eleni had never had a reason to disagree. Outside of the garden, the crystal hall contained her fondest memories.
The herald announced the arrival of the eight princesses of Atlantis in mersong, and they swam in to join the celebration. Music wrapped around Eleni from the minstrels singing from a far corner, and the sound of Merfolk keening and trilling and laughing to one another. Sweet, sweet music that almost made her forget the dark deep sea melodies. The whole space felt like a deep breath: expansive, filling, bursting with life yet somehow calming. Some called it the heart of Atlantis, and Eleni had never had a reason to disagree. Outside of the royal gardens, the crystal hall contained her fondest memories.
Courtiers and nobles and retainers all swept aside to allow the princesses passage to their mother at the far end of the ballroom. At the back of the group, Eleni let her gaze wander around the room in search of Balen. He never missed a chance to hear the music of the crystal hall; he would be here for sure. Somewhere in a corner, quiet, unobtrusive...
Mother kissed her cheek and pulled Eleni out of her own thoughts. The rest of her sisters had already greeted her and moved on, though lingered nearby.
Their mother wasn't seated in her delicately carved throne yet, but floating beside it she still looked every inch the queen. "You're very distracted tonight."
"Apologies, mother. I was in the library." Eleni offered a smile as she settled near her mother.
"Sobu's been asking about you."
"I have no interest in Sobu, mother," Eleni replied quietly. Mer had good ears, private conversations were difficult in an assembly such as this.
"He's a nice boy." Her mother remained unruffled. Even smiled, a small smile that turned the corners of her mouth. "At least say hello. Be polite."
"If I bump into him," Eleni replied, brushing a loose braid over her shoulder. "I will be polite. Maybe I'll even dance with him."
"Will you?" Her mother arched a brow.
"If I bump into him."
"Hm..."
A smile crept onto Eleni's lips, as well.
A murmured hush fell over the hall. Father arrived. The King of Atlantis.
His presence filled the hall. The entire assembly leaned towards him as if hanging on to the very song of his being. Even the children stilled, listening, waiting.
The path to the throne was clear even before he moved towards it. As he neared, he held out his hand, and the queen slipped hers into it. Side by side, they faced the crowd.
"The Creator's blessing be upon us all." The king's voice was wide and deep as the sea itself.
Bowed heads and murmured replies met his words. The king nodded; the music began again. Eleni's sisters dispersed into the fray with laughs and giggles.
Before Eleni could follow, her father's gaze caught hers and she paused. He smiled, an ivory part in his storm grey beard. His hand, the hand that ruled Atlantis, and had, reportedly, slain a kraken with only a trident, came to rest gently on her head. "Your mother tells me you'll sing tonight."
Eleni nodded. "Yes, father. I learned a new song especially for tonight."
"An old song?"
"Of course."
"Good." He nodded approval. "The old songs are beautiful."
Eleni's heart warmed. Her father valued the ancient songs while others dismissed them, and for that she loved him. He was himself almost like the heroes inscribed on the library walls, though being the youngest, Eleni had only seen him rule the city from the throne. She had often wondered what he had been like as crown prince, what power of music lay within him that caused even the ocean flora and fauna to revere him by his mere passing, to say nothing of the Mer themselves.
As a child Eleni thought he might not seem like such a giant when she grew older, but that did not prove to be the case.
I will make you proud.
The thought cut fiercely through the warmth in her heart as she looked at him, the soft weight of his hand on her hair. Almost, she felt, like a blessing.
Leaning down, he kissed her forehead, and released her. Eleni turned and curved away to join her sisters with her heart tap tapping her ribcage.
The gathering occupied all levels of the hall. Near the floor the couples danced with rhythmic movements, and over them others gathered in smaller groups, conversing with each other, laughing, and singing with the music. Not so grand an affair, perhaps, as the great festivals later in the year, but Eleni enjoyed the energy of these monthly gatherings nonetheless.
"I remember when we were younger and you used to sneak off to the Wrecks instead of staying at the banquets." Nerise appeared nearby and tucked her arm through Eleni's, halting her discreet search for old Balen. "Now look at you."
Eleni's lips quirked. "If I weren't singing I still might."
"And I would miss your company."
"My company?" She raised her brows dramatically. "When you could have Sobu's?"
Nerise blushed, her gills fluttering. "He wants to talk to you, not me."
"It's a shame I'm nowhere to be found..." Slipping her arm free and patting her sister's, she flashed her a mischievous grin as the young merlad came into view, then promptly abandoned her before she could protest.
As she continued to avoid Sobu - a very amusing game; for her, at least - she searched the familiar faces of the oldest courtiers. They hung near the fringes of the celebration, often conversing with each other. There weren't many left. Like her grandmother, they had become to fade into sea foam, one by one. They were the storytellers, and Eleni always thought there was something deep in their eyes that reminded her of the feeling she got when she hung right on the edge of the vast open ocean. Even as a small merling she had enjoyed the company of elders and knew them all by name. Those that were left.
Finally, she found him.
Belen sat on a stool near the wall, close to where the minstrels played. Aside from her father, Eleni knew Belen would enjoy her singing the most, for he loved the old songs, as well. He had a long, dark tail and sharp lines on his fin. A long, jagged tear scarred the right tip. That was the one story he never told, nor had Eleni ever been able to convince or trick him into sharing the tale behind that injury.
As always, he heard her coming. The lines on his face wrinkled into a pleased arrangement, propped up by the corners of his smiling mouth, and he turned sightless eyes in her direction.
"Your highness."
"Good evening, Belen." She lowered onto the stool beside him and tucked her tail to the side. "I'm here for a story."
"Stories are for quieter times."
"It's an important story. One about witches."
Belen's smile vanished, seeming to collapse under the weight of wrinkles pushed down by his frowning brows.
Eleni continued. "I read about them in the library today. The song told of their home, a place hidden far from Atlantis."
"That is an ugly place." Belen's voice reminded Eleni of distant, dying thunder in the aftermath of a storm. "An ugly, ugly place. Dead and barren. A fitting exile for sirens. Witches they're called now, but only because we've forgotten what they really are. The Siren Queen herself died there."
"Where?" Eleni leaned forward. Belen often became lost in his tales. She thought it was because he watched them in his mind with his unseeing eyes as if they were still happening.
"So far away, but still too close for my likings. No one believes they're still out there."
"Where, Belen?" She prodded, but gently.
Belen tightened his jaw. The torn end of his fin twitched. For a long time Eleni thought he wouldn't say any more, but then he seemed to get lost again, mumbling under his breath. She leaned closer to hear the words.
"The Reef of Haima? Nay, Reef of Death, it should be. But Haima... It is fitting. So much blood spilled there. So long ago."
Of course! It made perfect sense. The dead reef, the fabled location of the last battle between Sirens and Mer centuries ago. It was far, but still... Knowing a Siren lived somewhere she knew about made it feel close.
"Young princess?" Belen cocked his head and fanned his ear, pale eyes turned towards her as if he could see her sitting there watching him. His fin twitched again.
"Yes, Belen?"
"Your ears should not hear such dark melodies," he said in a surprisingly present tone. "Do not listen to them."
A prickle went up Eleni's spine. He always seemed to know more than expected, but he couldn't possibly know about the scroll. No, that was ridiculous.
She knew he couldn't see her, but she smiled, and pat his hand. "Thank you for the story, Belen." Stretching out, she started to swim away.
Belen caught her wrist. "Do not listen to them," he repeated.
The steward's resounding tones broke into their quiet exchange, announcing it was time for her to sing. Eleni slipped her hand free from the old mer's grasp and swam up to the center of the ballroom.
"Good evening, highness."
She twisted around to float near him as the guests moved aside and began to settle to listen. "Good evening, Esdras." She remembered his name at the last moment. "Are you enjoying yourself?"
"Not as much as you are, it seems, making a fool of poor Sobu."
"I am not making a fool of him," She said. "It is Nerise he really wants to talk with, and now he can while at the same time carrying out his obligation to look for me. I think he is having a lovely time, though of course courtesy would require him to say otherwise."
"Hm." Esdras arched a brow as wiry as his form. Eleni wondered if he ever accidentally tangled himself in knots. "What is the song you will sing tonight?"
"It's called Wind that Walks the Waters."
Nodding, Esdras clasped his hands behind his back and moved forward with a stroke of his tail. His clear voice commanded the attention of the room, he announced the song, and then drifted aside.
The fluttering in her stomach as she started came from anticipation rather than nervousness. The song built up in her chest and then her voice rang clear and pure from her lips. The music stirred from deep inside her, filling the waters, and she forgot about her enraptured audience, the banquet, Belen, even her clever scheme. All save the song. The beauty. The emotions that blossomed in her and ebbed and flowed and twirled with the tune. An ancient melody that told of a dance between the sea and the sky. It reminded her of a simpler lullaby her mother had always sung to her, one that had always made her feel excited, longing to explore and find every lovely thing to catch it and hide it away so nothing could harm it.
All too soon the song ended. Eleni opened her eyes, and slowly the sound of applause registered in her ears as the last vestiges of the melody faded away. Never did she feel so alive than when she sang. Her smile bloomed on her face, bright and full. She bowed, and after she declined to sing more - like she always did - the orchestra started up again and Esdras called for the dancing to resume.
In the commotion, Eleni wove her way to the door. There she paused, just for a moment, and looked back. Through the living garden of fins and tails and music, her eye was drawn to her father.
  Then she slipped away.