Chapter Six - The Hearts of Men

She stood for a long moment in the empty space he'd left, her mind whirling with questions. Never had she expected to meet him again, even though she had so often wondered what had happened to him. Who he was, how he lived, whether or not he remembered her. Clearly he didn't. Her stomach turned itself into knots at the thought. Perhaps he simply hadn't gotten as good a look at her as she had at him.
Delfina grabbed her hand again. "Come on! Celeste is ordering!"
Eleni let the girl drag her over to the wide counter, trying to shake off the pressing memories. She turned her attention to the mouthwatering scents surrounding her and the very large man standing behind the counter with the most jovial face she had ever seen.
"Welcome, girls," he boomed cheerily. He wore an apron covered in white splotches, and his head was wreathed in silvery hair. He splayed his sizeable hands on the counter and smiled down at his three customers. "It's been a while since you two were in here."
"Hello, Gruno," Celeste greeted him. "Money has been tight, and we've been busy."
"I'm sorry to hear that. Lucky for you, I have a sale on the glazed buns today. They've all got to go, you know. You'd be doing me a favor."
The array of goods on the shelves behind the counter were like an edible garden. All different shapes and sizes of golden spheres, ovals, braids, even a cube or two. Some gleamed with a shiny glaze over them, while others were bare or sprinkled with flakes, and some had white stripes drizzled over the tops. They all looked soft, a little dry, and Eleni realized she was famished.
"Four glazed buns, then," Celeste said. "It's always nice to have a baker owe you a favor." She flashed the charismatic smile Eleni had grown familiar with over the afternoon. It looked more sincere this time.
"And who is your lovely young friend?" the baker asked, and his gaze switched Eleni
She took him in in return. He seemed a nice man, big and generous. Friendly. She could see the warmth in his eyes.
"She's our guest," Delfina said. "Da and I found her on the beach and rescued her. She can't speak so we don't know her name."
"Well well." There was curiosity in his tone. "Looks like you have a mystery on your hands. Aria, come say hello to our mystery customer."
As he handed a bag full of rolls to Celeste and accepted the coins he handed her with a wink, a woman around Isobel's age stepped out from a back room. She carried a young child on her hip and had white powder on her hands and apron just like Baker Gruno. There was an inviting look to her. She was all soft edges and warm shades of light brown. There was a distinctly knowing look in her eye that reminded Eleni of her grandmother, even though this woman could not possibly fathom the vast centuries her grandmother had seen before she died. She wasn't even as old as her mother. But she still looked... wise. And kind.
"Nice to meet you," she said. "And it's good to see you, too, girls. You're looking lovely as ever, Celeste. Are you coming to the festival this year?"
"I've been saving every penny," Celeste replied, taking the bag. "Well, nearly every penny."
Baker Gruno chuckled. "Young lady, this is my daughter, Aria. She helps me here. I like to know all my customers, and you are no exception. Welcome."
Eleni smiled, gaze flicking to the quiet child who stared at her with round eyes and a finger in her mouth.
"Ah, this is my granddaughter Sofia."
Walking over, Eleni waved to the little girl, who waved back hesitantly and leaned against her mother's shoulder.
Aria chuckled."She's shy."
Eleni stepped back again and gave her an understanding look.
"Come, let's get back to mother," Celeste said. "Thank you Gruno for the rolls. Mother will be very pleased; these are her favorite."
He raised his bushy eyebrows in an expression of surprise just a little too exaggerated to be genuine, and it made Eleni smile. Laughter tickled the inside of her chest. 
  They walked out of the bakery, and Celeste handed a roll to each of them. The moment Eleni bit into it, the sweet, fluffy flavor burst over her tongue. Her eyes widened.
Delfina laughed. "I don't think she's ever had a roll before."
"Even if she has,  she's never had one as good as Gruno makes them. Gruno makes baked goods for the King, you know. Aria used to be the prince's governess, and her husband still works as a palace guard. I've seen the royals come to the bakery sometimes."
"No, you haven't."
"Yes, I have."
"When?"
"Hush, you're being impertinent."
"You're being impertinent."
Celeste rolled her eyes. "Let's take this way back; I want to go past the dress shop."
"Oh, and the glassmaker's is this way, too!"
As they turned down the street, Eleni  nibbled on her roll so it wouldn't be finished too quickly, and followed the chattering sisters along the stone road. At first she looked about, again hoping to catch a glimpse of the golding haired lad from all those years ago, but soon gave it up in favor of the other fascinating sights vying for her attention. She peered through the windows of shop after shop, each one filled with beautiful things she'd never seen before. The craftsmen especially fascinated her. Glassmakers, tailors, cobblers, cartwrights, blacksmiths, gold and silversmiths, potters, tanners, scribes.... She listened to the sisters chatting to catch the names of each one, and now and then Delfina caught her staring and gave her an explanation. There was so much Eleni could scarcely take it all in. She didn't even notice when she finished her roll. Celeste and Delfina conversed critically about the wares and their merits, but to Eleni it was all perfect. At the dressmaker's, They stepped inside
  "Just to look around," Celeste said.
  Eleni didn't even know so much clothes existed, and couldn't fathom how they managed to dye the fabrics so many different shades and hues. Or how they sewed together such exquisite garments. Ruffles, bows, elegantly draped sashes, curving necklines, fluttered hems. Laces, ties, toggles. Different fabrics, as well. Some thick, some thinner, some smooth, some textured. Eleni ran her hand over each one just to feel them against her fingertips.
As they stepped back onto the street, Celeste said, "Madame Seline makes the best tailored gowns in the whole city, so it's said. Can you imagine wearing one?"
Eleni couldn't, but she could imagine Celeste wearing one, and how absolutely stunning she would be. She would turn every head, and with that winning smile she possessed, Eleni had no doubt Celeste could obtain whatever she wanted from almost anyone. It was a good thing they were friends and not enemies.
Finally they made their way back to the basket stall. There weren't any customers nearby when they walked up.
"Did we sell anything else?" Celeste asked, handing the fourth roll to her mother.
Isobel nodded. "A nice old couple bought three hand baskets for their flower shop." She looked at the rolls curiously.
"Gruno had them on sale," her older daughter assured.
With a nod, Isobel bit into it.
  Finding a place at the back of the stall, Eleni sat down. By now the sun had shifted, and she sat in its light instead of in the shade where the others stood. Her skin warmed and made her feel pleasantly drowsy. She forgot the sea just then, sitting in the sun, with wonderful things whirling through her head, a lovely taste in her mouth, and the beautiful sound of voices and laughter filling the air.
  Customers trickled by, and Celeste with her captivating smile and charming way secured several more sales. Isobel interested some passing housewives in carrying baskets. Delfina sold a little hand basket to the daughter of a wealthy couple heading into the main market with a retinue of servants.
  Despite all this, there were still baskets left unsold. The sunlight was turning golden.
  "Next week will be better," Isobel said, turning the key in the lockbox with a click, and slipping the key into the pouch at her belt.
  Eleni couldn't tell if Celeste believed her.
A golden ball rolled past their stall. Eleni watched it. A tawny haired boy darted after it, and snatched it up.
"Mother," Delfina bounded back to the stall counter and stood on tiptoe with her hands on the edge. "Can I go play Kick with them?"
Isobel looked out at the people passing by, then nodded. "Very well. But take her with you--" She nodded towards Eleni. "-- see if she wants to learn to play. It's a city game; I doubt she knows it."
Flashing a grin, Delfina bounced over and grabbed Eleni's hand and tugged her out onto the street.
"Look after her?" Isobel called after them.
Eleni gave her a reassuring wave as the crowd swallowed them up again.
Not too far from the open market plaza, they came upon a grassy area surrounded by pillars with carved marble birds atop them. In the grass a whole group of children were playing together, their calls and cries to each other like music, filled with energy, excitement, and determination. Delfina stopped at the edge and watched, so Eleni did as well. In amongst the tangle of arms and legs and small bodies she caught sight of the gold ball being kicked, tossed, and bumped back and forth.
"This is called Kick," Delfina said. "Have you ever played it?"
Eleni shook her head. Most of the games she had played as a child had been things like races and treasure hunts.
"You have to throw the ball to your teammates to get it to your team's line, and if you let it hit the ground then another team gets to kick it to their line for a point. Come on, I'll show you."
Delfina ran up to one of the kids, and after a brief exchange, she waved Eleni over. The children didn't seem to mind that she joined them, despite herheight advantage. They swiftly incorporated her into the game. At first she felt completely lost, watching the three different teams, denoted each by a different colored scrap of cloth around their necks. The gold ball tossed back and forth between the children and they ran in groups around the grassy playing field.
With a blue cloth around her neck, Eleni kept track of her team, and when the ball came to her she tossed it quickly to the child closest to their line. That child was promptly tackled and the ball nabbed for one of the other teams. So the next time she got the ball, she faked a throw, and then lobbed it to a different teammate. She was smaller than most of them but Eleni saw fierce determination in her eyes. And she was quick. Quicker than the others realized. She caught the gold ball when Eleni threw it, and dodged between the bigger kids before they realized what was happening, making a mad dash for the blue line. By then the others had recovered and took off after her and her team erupted in excited shouts of encouragement.
She made it, but only just, as an older boy's long legs brought him right up to her just after she stepped over the line. They both tripped and tumbled over off the grass into the street, and the ball bounced across the street. The boy jumped up and ran after it while the girl sat up, beaming, and pumped her fist in the air while the rest of her team cheered. She pushed herself to her feet and dusted off.
Eleni's ears pricked. Fast, getting louder. No one else seemed to hear it. Hoofbeats, fast, closer and closer. A fierce black creature bearing a rider on its back came careening around a corner onto the street. Pedestrians jerked out of the way. Eleni couldn't call out a warning, so she ran.
The girl whirled to see the creature, and froze, just as Eleni reached her. She grabbed her and hugged her close and flung them both to the side as the beast and rider tore past. Eleni twisted to hit the ground with her shoulder, the girl landing on top of her. The stone dug into her skin through the dress.
The animal skid to a halt a short distance away, rearing onto its back legs and issuing a shrill cry. Unwrapping herself, Eleni looked the girl over. She appeared unhurt as she turned wide eyes upwards at her.
"Thank you," She said, her voice a little shaky. Somewhere amongst the milling people, someone called out a name. The girl got to her feet and ran off to a woman on the outskirts of the playing field who hugged her tightly.
"Young lady, are you alright?" It was a man's voice. Turning her gaze, Eleni saw it was the man atop the creature.
She got to her feet, brushing off her shoulder. He was well dressed and so was the animal. He peered down at her from his vantage point. Something about him made Eleni bristle. He spoke with words of concern, but they did not match his bearing. She simply nodded to him, as the boy who'd been retrieving ran past to return to the field.
The man grumbled something under his breath that Eleni could not decipher, wheeled his animal, and galloped off down the street at the same reckless speed.
"That was amazing!" Delfina ran up to her. "You saved her!"
Eleni gave her a helpless shrug. What was she supposed to have done? No one else heard the danger coming.
"Don't be so modest," She said, putting her hands on her hips. She sounded like she was repeating a phrase she heard the adults use. "You're a hero."
Eleni's face grew warm. It was then she noticed people watching her. There were murmurs here and there, nods of approval, a smile or two, before the street slipped back into its usual activity.
  Her shoulder started to sting, and when she glanced at it, rubbing gingerly, she saw red showing through the tear in her sleeve.
  "Momma can fix it," Delfina assured  her. "And Celeste can't be mad you tore her dress when she hears how it happened. I can show you how to mend it and then we can do it together. I hate mending but it's not as bad when I don't have to do it alone."
  Eleni wondered if wearing clothes was really worth all the bother. But there were already so many other questions swimming around in her head that she didn't ponder it long. She glanced back in the direction the mounted man had taken, and heard scattered comments of disapproval for the man's behavior and questions about how the prince would handle reckless nobles in his parents' absence.
They left the group of children who waved and called farewell to them as they went. Eleni waved back, wishing her team luck in her mind, and smiling in particular at the little girl she had rescued.
  They reached the basket stall, and Isobel looked up and frowned in concern when she noticed Eleni's shoulder and the dirt on the dress.
"My goodness, what happened?"
"Eleni's a hero," Delfina announced, and related the incident in one breath. "So you can't be mad about the dress, Celeste. Anyhow, we can fix it, right?"
"Of course." Celeste gave a smile to match her gracious agreement, but her gaze flickered to the torn sleeve and she picked at the fringe of her shawl. "What's important is you're alright."
"Gracious, you have been having Come let me have a look at your injury. It doesn't seem too bad but it's best to be sure."
She made Eleni stand still while she inspected the sound. She thought she caught Celeste looking over the dress and seemed satisfied that there were no tears in it.
"This is just a surface wound but it's best it were cleaned. We'll do it as soon as we get back to the cottage."
Eleni nodded, and tucked the edge of her sleeve up so it wouldn't brush the scuffed skin.
"Did you see who it was that was riding the horse?"
Delfina shook her head. "I was too busy being worried. Aggie came back and we made sure she was alright and then I went over to see if she was alright, too. The man on the horse left."
"Strange such behavior is allowed." Celeste folded her arms. "The king enforces strict rules for riding in the city."
  "He looked rich," Delfina said, as if she knew what it meant.
  Isobel shook her head. "The king is impartial in that area."
  "The king isn't here." Celeste placed the cloth they'd laid over the stall counter into the cart. "Perhaps he isn't as strict as his father."
Eleni wished she could ask more questions about the prince. The sailors spoke of him sometimes on the docks, but more often they spoke of pay or sea conditions or the king's recent interest in foreign trade, another controversial topic often gossiped about by the shores where no one knew a young mermaid would be listening to every word.
  "Never mind," Isobel said. "We'll be careful from now on."
  That was an end of it. With the coffer and the numerous remaining baskets safely packed into the cart, Celeste lifted the handles this time, and they left the stall to walk the streets once again. It gave Eleni a twinge of sadness to pass through the gates and leave the city behind. This time on the walk back, no one sang. Delfina hummed once or twice but always trailed off. Once again, Eleni felt the ache of emptiness in her throat. All she had seen and heard that day on the city wanted to come pouring out in songs that were sure to lift the spirits of her three companions. She glanced down at her feet, the strange shoes covering them so she couldn't feel the earth with her toes. What a price she had paid for them...
  Putting aside those thoughts, she contented herself observing the fragrant purple flowers growing amongst the grasses alongside the road.