39

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Elijah pulled my hand and we walked towards his car. Sinubukan kong kumalas sa pagkahawak niya ngunit hinigpitan niya ang paghawak.

"Wait. I brought my car." Sabi ko at pilit na hinawi ang aking kamay, ngunit, bigo.

"You can get it later." He plastered a teasing smile.

Hindi nalang ako pumalag at sinunod nalang siya. I sat on the shotgun seat and placed on my seatbelt. Umikot pa si EJ papunta sa driver's seat.

"Where are we going?" I raised a brow at him.

"You'll see." He winked at me and started the engine. The car roared to life and we were on the road.

Nakatulog ako sa mahabang binyahe namin ni EJ. Kinusot ko ang aking mga mata at nakita ko ang mga punong sumasayaw kasabay nang sasakyan.

"Good morning, Miss." EJ smiled while his gaze is directed on the road.

"Nasaan ba tayo?" Kumunot ang noo ko at umayos ako sa pagkaupo.

"Hiking." He smirked.

"What?!" Sigaw ko at tumayo siya. "Bakit?"

"You enjoyed our hike 2 years ago.." He played with his lip using his left thumb and his right hand on the steering wheel.

"I'm not prepared, EJ. Hindi nga pang-hike ang suot ko, eh." I whined.

Hindi siya nagsalita at nagpatuloy sa pagda-drive. I saw a familiar street and that's where we went. Malapit na kami sa hiking place kaya wala na akong magagawa.

"We're here!" He sounds excited at bumaba na kami sa kotse. I missed this place. After two years, I'm back. Finally.

"Let's go." Inilahad niya ang kanyang kamay at tiningnan ko 'yun. I tilted my head a little bit to the side, wondering. "Take my hand." Aniya.

"No, thank you." I smiled at him and walked. Nauna akong maglakad sa kanya at narinig ko ang pagbuntong-hininga niya.

Tagaktak na ang pawis ko nang makarating kami sa taas. It was breathtaking. The last time we came here, we witnessed the sunrise. Now, we are about to witness how the sun sets. I closed my eyes and inhaled a huge amount of air.

Sage...

I opened my eyes again and saw Elijah looking at me. Ngumuso ako sa kanya at ngumiti siya. "Why?" I asked.

"I like looking at you."

"No. Why did you bring me here?" Diretsong tanong ko.

"I brought you here for you to take your mind off things. I know you're stressed about a lot of things. I want to help by simply doing this."

"Thank you.." I looked away. Alam ko kung saan to patungo. I don't want to acknowlegde. The last thing I want is to hurt him. I can't do that. I want to be completely ignorant about how he feels.

"Gabbi, can I ask you something?" His gaze is over the horizon.

"Sure. Go ahead."

"Kung hindi ba ako umalis, tayo pa rin?" Tiningnan niya ako. I bore my eyes to his. I saw sadness in his eyes. I saw hope.

"Maybe..." I wasn't sure as well. Kasi kung kami, kami talaga. I knew we were seperated for a reason. I finally understood how love is. No matter how you love each other, if it's not strong enough to keep both of you. It will break you. If you force yourself to hold on, it will be more painful.

"I will ask you this. One last time." He held my hand. I looked at our hands and felt nothing. Those butterflies were gone. Wala na. "Can you give us another try?" His voice was breaking, so I had to look away. I might end up crying as well.

"EJ, you know I love you. And you'll always have a place in my heart." I placed my tongue at the insides of my cheek. "But, right now, I have someone I am willing to sail across the seven seas just to be with him." Dahan-dahang dumadausdos ang mga luha ko. "I'm sorry." I stretched out my arms and embraced him. "I'm so sorry..." Humahagulhol na ako at mukhang nabasa na ang tshirt niya dahil sa mga luha ko.

"Hush, my love. It is me who should say sorry." He caressed my hair and tightenend his grip. "I'm so sorry." He added.

Pinunasan ko ang mga luha ko at kumalas sa yakap ni EJ. I smiled at him and he did, too. I wiped his tears and he held my hand on his face. "You were my greatest adventure." He said in a husky voice.

We witnessed the sunset together. Nakaakbay siya sa'kin at tahimik lang kami. We allowed the nature to speak for us.

Sunsets truly are proof that endings can be beautiful, too.

Our ending was beautiful..

But, our ending was the start of my journey to a new beginning.

I hope.

I pray.

...

"Anak, call us when you get there, okay?" Sabi ni Mama sabay halik sa pisngi ko.

"Yes, Ma. Take care, alright?" I smiled at her.

"Flight 487. Flight 487." The woman on the speaker.

"I got to go. Love you!" Kumaway ako sa Mama ko at pumasok na.

As I sat down on my seat, I looked outside the window.

I was overlooking the horizon. Clouds even. I took a picture of it and placed on my earphones. Nakatulog ako sa byahe. I felt jetlagged, but, I was determined.

Sinuot ko ang sunglasses ko at naglakad na palabas. Sinalubong ako ng sariwang hangin kaya napapikit ako. My hair danced with the wind as I walked to find a taxi.

Pagkarating ko sa hotel, dumapa kaagad ako sa higaan at niyakap ang unan. I am so exhausted at mukha pa akong na stiffed neck ng kaunti.

I slept for an hour before deciding to roam around the place. Naghilamos ako at kinuha ko na ang bag ko. I opened my luggage to find the personalized book Sage gave me.

There wasn't a time that I didn't long for him. Hanggang ngayon, siya pa rin.

It has been 3 months since he left. Marami ang nangyari. Cara confessed to me that she has feelings for Elijah. She taught me how love goes to great lengths for you to be with that person. Medyo nagalit ako sa kanya, ngunit, naintindihan ko.

"Gab, I'm sorry. I love EJ so much. I love him." She cried in front of me.

"Is that why you went to him in England?"

"Y-yes." She covered her mouth to prevent a sound. "I went to him. I stayed with him during his darkest days." She added.

I can't believe na ganoon niya kamahal si EJ. It didn't crossed my mind that I'd go over there to see him and be with him. Even if I wanted to, I can't. Kailangan ako ng pamilya ko. I was also at my lowest.

How can I simply save him when I'm also drowning?

"You shouldn't be sorry, Cara. I know how it feels to love someone. But, you should've told me." Sabi ko sa kanya at humagulhol siya. "When you stayed with him, I felt worthless. Kasi, kasi sarili kong jowa hindi ko maalagaan." I smiled at her with a bit of bitterness.

I heaved a sigh after remembering all those things. Lumabas na ako sa hotel room at naglakad papunta sa elevator.

Right now, I will chase my dream.

...