Chapter 1

People always wonder why I celebrate Christmas – I’m Hindu; I’m not even Christian.

People also always confuse me for being Christian, which I can never even begin to understand. Clearly I’m Indian – not Native American, but from the country in south Asia (people seem to confuse that too for some reason) - and almost all Indians are Hindu. I mean, I'm 100% Indian so I look so Indian, too! I have the long looks-black-but-is-actually-extremely-dark-brown hair, the dark brown eyes that only black from far away, and the tan skin.

And then there's the fact that my name's Jyotsna. People call me Josie, but everyone knows my full name is Jyotsna - how could that not be Indian? I don’t know what there is to confuse!

I think people are just overall confused by me and my love for Christmas. But it’s really not all that confusing. I celebrate Christmas, my favorite holiday, just not the religious aspect of it. I do the decorating and the cookies and the presents, though! And most importantly, I use it as an excuse to spend it with all of the people I care about. My sisters, my parents, my grandparents, and my friends. No loving boyfriend in the mix - I could never be that lucky to have one during the holidays. I don't exactly make a big deal out of my loneliness in front of people, but I actually really do wish I wasn't spending this holiday alone. I just want a kiss under a mistletoe or something stupid and cliché. The only holidays I've had a boyfriend on are Groundhog Day and Columbus Day. I'm pretty sure those don't really count. 

Anyway, Christmas is by far my favorite holiday. Living in a big city like London is definitely a perk at this time of year. Lights are up and snow is piled on the ground and rooftops - and it's only 2nd December. And then there's the fact that shopping for presents is absolutely amazing because all of the best stores are right near my flat. This could also be viewed as a negative thing, though. For starters, I just spent three hours in Forever 21 because the display windows caught my eye. There I was, innocently driving back to my flat, when I saw the cutest shirt in the world. Of course, I had to tell the taxi driver to drop me off there. Now, nearly two hundred dollars later, I have presents for both of my sisters, Neisha and Sana, and my best friend, Melissa. 

(A/N: I apologize about this beginning part. It sounds awkward and I don't really like it, but I couldn't come up with anything else)

I shove my key into the lock of my door and turn the handle with my elbow - both of my hands are currently being occupied by shopping bags. As soon as I step into the flat, I throw the bags onto the ground and slip my shoes off. Who knew clothing could be so heavy?

I skip into my kitchen (I'm in the Christmas spirit so don't judge) and open up virtually every cupboard, searching for food.

"Food, food, food, food..." I mutter under my breath. Being that I shopped for so long, I'm starving. All I can find that I could actually eat right now is a jar of peanut butter. And some yogurt. And a couple of packets of hot cocoa mix. And an apple that is probably way too ripe. I really need to stop forgetting to go grocery shopping. 

I'll just go over to Liam's. He always has good food.

I grab the movie Elf and the hot cocoa mix, slide my shoes back on, and knock on my neighbor's door. It takes a minute or two, like always, for Liam to answer. He's always cautious because he never knows if it's a crazy fan waiting to attack him. Oh, Directioners.

"Oh, hey Josie!" He grins.

"Sup broski?"

"You need food?" He asks, but says more as a statement.

My jaw drops down a little and my eyes widen, "How did you know?"

"That's the only time you ever come over here."