Chapter 3: Hope They Make Me Sneeze

"I can't find it," Olivia finally announced. 

"Are you sure?" Peter wondered, poking his head inside her parents' bedroom. She nodded, sighing. Peter looked around at the empty hallway. "Come on, your dad'll be here any moment and I don't want him thinking we do stuff we shouldn't do."

"Yeah, I--" she sighed again. The box in which the letter laid in just last week was in the same spot, but the letter was now missing. "I... I wanted to show you, so you'd tell me your opinion."

"Do you remember a vague line of what it was?" Olivia nodded, before Peter suddenly stopped her. "Your dad's car is getting closer. Come on, let's open a snack and place two cups to make it seem like we were just sitting in the living room." Olivia and Peter both rushed to the kitchen, she threw a bag of Doritos at him, and he took out a bowl to put it in, while she took two cups and filled them about half-way so it would seem like it sat there for a while. 

"Eat some of the doritos!" she called as he slid into the living room. 

"I'll also place some crumbs around the bowl!"

"You gotta learn how to eat properly, babe," she laughed, walking after him. His mouth was full and he was struggling to keep everything inside. She turned on the TV and put on a random movie, passing him his cup. He drank from it the moment he could and set it down again.

"We'll get around to it, babe."

"I know, we have prom to do it too."

"So," Peter signaled that her father is at the door, and she nodded. "We are going together, right?" 

"Yeah, but how?"

Peter shrugged. Last year, another couple and themselves took a cab together, but the couple broke up. "We could take a taxi by ourselves, since everyone probably already know how they're--"

"Mike!" Olivia cheered suddenly, just at the door opened. "Mike's still not sure what he does, but he'll never miss prom."

"Call him then," Peter offered, eating some more of his favorite snack. 

"Hey Vy!" Malcolm Hunter entered the living room. "Pete! Surprise, surprise. Like you don't hang out here every other day."

"Hey Mac," he greeted the father of his girlfriend. "Bought anything good?"

"You're a pig," Olivia snorted. 

"Oink oink," Peter said with a grin, and she giggled. 

"So, any homework?" Malcolm asked, grabbing some Doritos. 

"It's the first day back, dad," Olivia whined. "Even if there are, I'm not doing it." He simply shrugged, and before long started putting all of the groceries in their spot while Olivia and Peter watched the movie idly.

"I'll get the door," Peter sighed suddenly, and just as he stood up a knock was heard. Olivia smiled at him, and she briefly wondered how odd it would seem to someone else if her boyfriend would hear stuff she couldn't, and never be wrong, but she was very accustomed to it. She never doubted his hearing and he never doubted her intution. 

"Ms. Cope, come on in," She could hear from the door, and Ms. Cope entered the kitchen.

"I brought some soup, sweeties," she said, "Malcolm, hello, dearie, how are you?" The blond man walked over and took the soup away, before hugging his neighbor. 

"What for, Andrea? Soup?"

"Well, Olivia seemed horribly sick at school when I last saw her, so I figured I'd drop by and check up."

Olivia walked over to the kitchen, smiling. "Thanks Ms. Cope, but I'm much better."

"Sick?" Malcolm walked over, placing a hand on her forehead, "you feel fine--"

"We figured she's just allergic," Peter smiled at Ms. Cope, "I had to finish the tour for the Cullens, I hope it's fine."

"Oh yes, they came by afterwards to take the map. They said that while it was very nice of you two, they do think it's not much needed, so we'll probably give up on that concept."

"Wait, hold on. Olivia has never sneezed before. Never. Not once. That girl was left in the pouring rain for hours when she was a baby," Malcolm looked his girl over, "she was soaking, and not even a slight fever. Not when her teeth came out, not with the virus two years back, not last year. The girl has the immune system of Tarzan."

"Probably just allergy, dad."

"To what?" he asked again. "Honey, you never even sneezed.'

"Never?" Olivia wondered. "Dad, that's ridiculous. No human never sneezes."

"You never did, hold on." He walked over to the telephone, and looked at the sticky note that read one of his wife's clinics phones.

"The Hunter Clinic for Alternative Medicine, this is Heather, how can I help?" was saidin a high-pitched voice from the other line.

"Hi Heather, it's Malcolm, Mia's husband. Can I get her real quick?"

"Of course, hold for a moment."

A second later, a voice opposite of Heather's filled their ears as Malcolm pressed on the Speaker. "Hi Mac, something wrong?"

"Your daughter sneezed repeatedly today."

"Okay, well--" she suddenly stopped, and her deep voice rose an octave. "Olivia sneezed? Our Olivia?"

"Repeatedly."

"Oh dear God," she mumbled. "Is there fever? Is she fine? Are you calling from the hospital?"

"Mom!" Olivia called. "Geez, look, I'm fine. I just sneezed a few times--"

"A bunch of times," Ms. Cope said, "I really thought you'd sneeze your brain out."

"Gotta have one to sneeze one," Malcolm joked. 

"Good one dad," Olivia grinned. Peter shook his head at the humor the two of them shared. 

"Mac, stop it. Take her for a check up. Now."

"But mom--"

"CHECKUP!"

"Mom, it's just a sneeze--"

"And when I'm back, we're gonna do some acupuncture on your face."

"I mean, I'd really rather not."