06: Her Civic Duty

After another day of putting on several shows to earn an honest day's pay, Jane soon finds herself back at home again. Feeling mentally drained, the only thing she wants to do right now is to unwind and relax for the rest of the day.

Though, today wasn't too bad for her. Yes, she had to perform in front of a crowd of people who were staring at her like she is some kind of oddity, and she can't blame them for that. At thirty-four feet tall she is a bit of a spectacle, whether she wants to be or not. Not to mention they do spend their hard-earned money so they can do just that.

Becky, whom she met when she had received a job opportunity from Subtle Advertising, had actually come to see her and talk to her. The woman genuinely has some interest in her. Not as a giantess, but as an actual person. She does find some relief in this, as it does allow her to feel normal for once, something that she has seldom felt over the past year.

Entering the warehouse, needing to duck through the entrance, she is getting ready to listen to Sam's usual greeting of "Welcome back, Miss Jane. How was your day?" Though this time he isn't even acknowledging that she has returned, which is odd for him. She knows for a fact that he knows that she has returned. The sound of her opening up the bay door can be easily heard, not to mention the fact that her footsteps are audible.

She approaches her personal assistant, who is sitting at his desk, apparently absorbed in some papers that he has in front of him. "Okay, what is it?"

"Oh, Miss Jane, I didn't notice that you have returned." Sam is sounding very casual as he says this, too casual for Jane's liking. "How was your day?"

"You can drop the act, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Ma'am." Sam is sounding slightly defensive as he answers the giantess, another reaction that is cause for concern from the giantess.

"Don't 'Nothing, Ma'am,' me," Jane says as she leans forward and points at the man, her large finger just inches away from his face. "You have some bad news for me, don't you?"

"I don't have any bad news."

"Bullshit! The only time you don't greet me whenever I return is when you have bad news to give me. So you better tell me now! Or so help me." She reaches out towards him with both of her hands, illustrating a possibility of what she can do to him.

Sam sighs, seeing that there is no point in trying to hide it anymore. She is certain that he is trying to hide something, and if he keeps denying it he knows that there will be consequences. It would most likely be her sending him on some tedious and pointless errand that could take him several hours to complete. He reaches for a folded up piece of paper and holds it up for Jane to see. "This came for you today."

She bends down and practically snatches the paper out of Sam's outstretched hand. She unfolds it, which isn't too difficult for her since it is like unfolding a post-it note to her. Bringing the paper up to her face, she squints, trying her best to make out the small wording that is printed out on it. She then looks down at Sam, who clearly looks as though he is dreading her imminent reaction. "What the hell is this?"

"It's a jury summons, Miss Jane."

"Seriously!? Fucking jury duty! How the hell am I going to serve on a jury! I won't even fit be able to inside the damned building!"

"That would be a problem that is unique to you. I will go ahead and write a letter back to them, detailing the reasons why you are unable to serve on a jury."

"Oh no no no no no no no. They are not getting off that easy. I am not only going to go down there and personally show them why I am unfit for jury duty, but I am also going to make sure that they will never waste my time again with something like this."