Chapter 34

Benson

Grace's hospitalization for the last two weeks has been difficult. They brought her out of her medical coma after four days. Those four days allowed her body to heal physically but mentally is another story. She's been struggling with night tremors and paranoia. The doctor told us this week that the damage to Grace's heart was irreversible. The doctors discovered that she might have suffered minor brain damage as well because of the acute malnutrition that she suffered at the hands of Leigh's torture.

Grace is having surgery this afternoon to have a pacemaker placed inside of her chest. When her heartbeat goes irregular, the pacemaker will shock it back into rhythm. The doctor wanted Grace's nutrition back to a healthy level before doing the surgery.

Faith has been a nervous wreck all morning. She's pacing back and forth in the kitchen.

"Babe, please sit down. You are making me dizzy!"

She stops and looks at me with the sweetest grin. "I'm sorry, Babe. I'm so nervous for Grace. She's already been through so much."

I stand up, walk over to her, and place my arms around her waist. "I know, Faith. It's a simple procedure that will help Grace immensely. There's no need to worry."

She sighs. "I know; it's just so hard to see her go through more pain."

I brush my fingers through her silky hair. "I get it, but in the end, this will save her life."

She nods into my chest, and I give her a tight squeeze. "Come on. It's time to go. You wanted to be there for her before she gets taken back."

She smiles up at me. "I'm ready. Let's go."

***

Grace came through her surgery well. The doctor said she should be ready to go home in a few days. She'll need intensive therapy to recover mentally. Faith and I wanted the best for her, so I had Cindy search for the best therapist specializing in Grace's situation.

Cindy found Mia Scott in New York City. Cindy believes that Miss Scott is the best psychologist for Grace, not only because of her impeccable reputation as a therapist but because she's a survivor of an abduction herself. The only thing that we need to work out is how we will get Grace and Mia Scott together since we are on opposite sides of the country.

What makes the most sense is to check Grace into a facility in New York City to be close to Miss Scott. Faith is balking at that idea because she just got her sister back, and she's not ready to let her go. Thomas, Liza, and I had to do a lot of talking to convince Faith that this is what is best for Grace to get the help she needs to recover fully.

***

Today, Grace is leaving the hospital, but she's not coming home with us. She's going to New York. I chartered a plane to help Grace transition to Woodstock Manor, located in Lake Hill, New York. It's a little over two hours from New York City.

Miss Scott highly recommended their facility. She travels to the facility weekly for individual therapy sessions with her patients. The approach of the facility's program is increasing resident independence by building their confidence and self-esteem to create self-awareness and implement coping skills. They promote resident-involved treatment programs with group activities focused on nourishing the mind and body.

I can tell that Faith is highly anxious because she's been cooking up a storm in the kitchen since she woke up early this morning.

"Wow, Babe! Is there more than just Liza and Thomas joining us for breakfast?" I tease her as I wrap my arms around her waist.

She leans into me. "I don't know if I can do this, Benson. I just got her back."

Even though I can't see Faith's face, tears are slipping down her beautiful cheeks.

"Faith, we talked about this. It's what's best for Grace. She deserves the best, and Mia Scott is the best. We can visit as much as you need to for however long she's there."

"I know; it's just tough to let her go," she cries.

I turn her around to face me and embrace her tightly. I know that she'll be there for Grace when the time comes. She always is. I also know that she needs to work through her emotions to get to that point.

I hear a knock on our door. I pull away and look into Faith's dark, moist eyes. "Are you ready to let in the family because there's no way in hell that I can eat all of this food by myself?"

She smiles up at me, and I wipe away her tears. "I'm ready."

I release her and go to answer the door. Liza and Thomas are there. I move aside to let them in. "I hope you brought your appetite!"

They both laugh because they know Faith so well.

"I didn't even eat dinner last night preparing for this morning's feast," Liza says while rubbing her hungry belly.

"When Faith cooks, I eat," Thomas stated, knowing what a fantastic cook his sister is.

We enjoyed the bountiful breakfast that Faith laid out before us and left the dishes for Caroline to do because time got away from us. We grab our luggage and go down to where Robert is waiting. Faith had packed a bag for Grace. Robert already had Thomas' and Liza's bags in the trunk. We make our way to the hospital to pick up Grace.

When we all arrive in Grace's room, she dresses and waits for us. Every time we see her, she looks more and more like her old self. The bruises have slowly disappeared, her face is fuller, and while she is still very slim, you can tell that she has gained some weight.

Faith gives her a firm hug, and Grace grips Faith tightly. Thomas walks over and takes them both into his strong arms. Liza and I stayed back to let the siblings have their moment.

Faith speaks first to Grace, "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." Grace replies with a small smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes.

I can tell that even though Grace has been through hell and back, she's still trying to be brave for Faith. To say that the strength of these two women impresses the hell out of me is an understatement.

An orderly enters Grace's room with a wheelchair. Faith grabs Grace's bag full of lounge clothes and pajamas that Grace has been living in for several weeks. Thomas helps Grace into the wheelchair. I texted Robert to ensure he parked at the hospital exit for us.

Once we were all inside the vehicle, it was time to head to the airport. Everyone was quiet on the ride. We were all startled when Grace began to speak. "I'm not ready to talk about my experience yet, but what I can tell you is that I'm beyond thankful for your strength and support. I never gave up because I knew you would never give up on me. I promise to do my best to improve and return here to all of you where I belong."

-- and that's what she did.

*****