Meet the Redfields

Rita and John walked out to the doctor's building on to the busy street. "See, the doctor said, I'm healthy." Rita rolled her eyes. "I had a reason for taking you." She whispered, "The fact that you were shot, died, and came back to life."

He grumbled, "Well, you didn't have to make me take a blood test." He touched the side of his arm and winced, " I fucking hate needles." "I know." John tilted his head. "How?" "Told you, I was obsessed with you as a kid," John smirked, "Did you have a little crush on me?" Rita laughed and shook her head, "George and Ringo were more my speed." "Ringo?"

"What? Ringo was cute! I was in love with him!" John snorted, "You're right about that." He said sarcastically. A comfortable silence fell over them.

A shiver shook through John's body, "Why the hell is New York so bloody cold?" He blew into his hands.

"You lived in NYC for ten years, thought you would be used to it by now." She subtly pulled his arm towards her to have him avoid bumping into someone. "I've lived here for eight to nine years and, " He corrected her. "And?"

"I just like to complain," John added. "I've noticed." She muttered under her breath. John shoved her to the side, lightly, causing her to almost bump into someone. "John, I swear to God, do that again and I'll punch your arm." She pointed at his arm. John decided to leave her alone.

"Out of all the days you could have chosen to walk, " He trailed off. Rita groaned, "Stop complaining, John. You're worse than Jackie."

"Oh please, no one is worse than her. Last week, when I took a sheet of paper from her room, without asking her, she bitched about it the whole week." Rita stared at a church while they walked by it. "When was the last time you went to church?" "I haven't been since I and Pete got banned from ours when we were kids." Rita narrowed her eyes, "What did you guys do?" "For, 'repeatedly improvising obscene and impious lyrics to the hymns'. I was a choir boy." He said in an exaggerated posh accent. "I bet if I walked into a church, I'll burst into flames." Rita snorted.

They continued walking until John abruptly stopped. "What happened?" She looked at John curiously. "They replaced the buildings?" He pointed at the World Trade Center. Rita winced, "No." She pulled him to the side so they would be in people's way. "What happened-?"

"Why don't we go into Starbucks? You haven't eaten anything yet." She pointed at the building next to her. John slowly nodded and they headed inside.

"Go sit and I'll get you something." John went in sat in the back corner. He looked around and saw people on their phones and laptops and rubbed his hands attempting to heat them up.

He played with the zipper on the jacket that Rita had bought for him online.  He glanced at Rita who was ordering. He couldn't understand why she had just ignored his question like that? Maybe something bad had happened.

John kept busy in his thoughts until Rita arrived at the table.

Rita brought him a bacon, egg, and cheese wrap with a blueberry muffin and a caramel frappuccino. She set her bagel and hot chocolate on the table.

She took out a tiny hand sanitizer from her bag, squirted some on her palms, and passed it to John. He thanked her and took the bottle.

"That's all you're eating?" John pointed at the bagel while rubbing his hands.

"Yeah, " She muttered. She didn't even look up at John. He noticed the heavy mood switch.

"You didn't have to get me all this. We can share the muffin."

"No, it's fine. Eat the muffin."
John gave her a look and unwrapped the muffin. He broke it in half and placed it on the napkin in front of her. Rita stared outside while she eats her bagel.