Tainted Love

*TW!!*
this chapter will talk about deep subjects, like toxic relationships.

The triad sat at the small dining eating dinner in silence.

"So, Matt is taking me to this school dance as a date." Jackie smiled to herself, "And I need a dress." She looked at her mother, hoping she would show interest. Rita ignored Jackie and quietly ate her food. Jackie frowned at Rita and picked at the food. The pair still weren't getting along. John elbowed Rita, "Did you hear her? She said she needs a dress." John asked. Jackie gave John a thankful look; he nodded in acknowledgment.

Rita stabbed her food with a fork. "I did. Where are you going to get the money for it?"

Jackie hesitated, "Well, I was hoping for you to..." Rita raised her eyebrows.

"When is this dance?"

"On the ninth," She paused, "On my birthday." Rita shook her head, "So, no little birthday party this year?" Jackie nodded, "Matt said we were going out before the dance. It's a Valentine's Day dance."

Rita hummed, "Okay, then." She placed her fork on the side of her plate and looked at Jackie for the first time that night, "Maybe, you can ask your grandparents to take you out tomorrow. I have to work." She paused, "Maybe if you told me earlier, I would've taken off."

"Well, Matt didn't tell me until today."

"Well Matt, should have told you earlier." The air was quickly filled with a thick tension.

Jackie dropped her fork on her plate. "Can I go to my room?"

"You barely touched your food." Rita gestured at the food with her fork.

"I ate some pizza rolls when came back." Rita glanced at John and he nodded.

"Go to your room, I got the plate." John took it from Jackie. Jackie gave John an appreciative smile; John gave her a nod.

Jackie left to go to her room. John picked up his plate and gave Rita a judgemental glance. "What John?"

"You don't have to treat her like that. Be nicer, she sensitive, y'know?"

She scoffed at John, "Oh, so you know her more than me now." She childishly ignored John and stabbed a piece of her food with a fork. He sighed and went into the kitchen.

*
"Happy Birthday, love." John presented her breakfast on the table. It was pancakes that had fifteen candles with the words Happy Birthday written in syrup. Jackie hugged John tightly. "Thank you, so much John!" She looked around, "Where's my mom?"

John pressed his lips together. "She was called into her job early this morning." Jackie attempted to hide her disappointment but John saw through it. Jackie hid her face from John. "Okay then." She croaked.

Jackie ate her food in silence, although John attempted to start a conversation while they ate.

Jackie glanced at her phone, "Anyway, I should get going. Matt's downstairs waiting."

"Oh okay, I'll see you when you come back. Have a nice day, love." John hugged her again. "Everything is gonna turn out fine, alright." Jackie nodded. She grabbed her bag and left.

John sighed as she closed the door.

It was only a couple of hours later until Jackie got home to change into her dress for the dance. She waved her arms around. "How does it look?" It was a maroon long sleeve, knee-length dress.

"You look beautiful, love."

"Thank you." She stood there awkwardly fiddling with her fingers. "You okay?"