Chapter 28: Fenton Enters The Chat

Steelbeak and Ellie sat in his personal office on the sofa that was placed in front of the large window. Something Steelbeak had requested the other day so he could watch the city, his city, burn in the distance and his people slave away during his free time.

Ellie didn't understand why he chose this place to take her out of all places; the view made her rather upset and he probably knew that, but she didn't say anything. She was just happy to be out of that dingy lab where she assumed she was safe from torture at the moment. Emphasis on "assumed". Nonetheless, she was just pleased to be by his side, even if they sat a good few feet apart.

Truthfully, she was quite embarrassed about her sudden feelings that had blossomed toward him, not to mention the fact that she admitted all of her feelings to him with no control or warning. In fact, she was so ashamed that she kept her mouth shut the entirety of the walk to his office, as well as the time they sat together. Steelbeak had done the same for unknown reasons that she didn't bother questioning.

He was currently leaning on the armrest in a relaxed position, puffing on a much too expensive cigar and every so often tapping ash in the ashtray beside him. Every time he blew out a trail of smoke, the air conditioning blew most of it in Ellie's direction. The warmth of it had recently started to irritate her man-made skin, but she avoided scratching herself or waving it away so she wouldn't draw attention or make him upset with her.

The tense, silent air made the minutes seem like hours. But according to Ellie's internal clock, it had only been a little over one hour. She passed the time by thinking about Boyd, hoping he was doing alright with the pain he had to deal with that she had failed to retrieve tools for. She longed to hold him again almost as much as she longed for Steelbeak to hold her. Her subconscious was aware how messed up that thought was, how she was betraying her actual love, Mark, for a sickening enemy that had hurt her and all her loved ones. A murderer who killed her best friend. But her current conscious, the one in front and in charge, was not aware of that anymore. However, it didn't stop her from shivering. Steelbeak had noticed her sudden flinch and glanced over in her direction. That embarrassed Ellie even more and she hoped to Duck Jesus he wouldn't say anything. Starting a sudden conversation now would be too awkward. She knew that, even with an obsession for the man next to her.

Ellie could still feel Steelbeak's gaze on her after she had flinched unintentionally and she waited in anticipation for him to look away and continue smoking so her "heart" could stop fluttering for one second.

"So... you like me... how did that happen, huh?" This himbo ass knew the answer but Ellie didn't. He also knew her reprogramming had made her forget what he said about changing her emotions for him. Right now he just wanted to watch her suffer trying to come up with an answer.

Ellie internally cringed. He indeed started a conversation when she least wanted it. "...I don't know..." She said, continuing to stare at the horrid view in front of her.

"Well, I guess I'm not surprised. I mean, we went on a date a few months back. Do you remember that?"

She did remember, but the memory had become rather blurry when she tried to look back on it and analyze what had happened that night. That was just another strange thing happening to her that was added to a large pile of many other questionable things. "No... I don't." She settled on saying.

"Oh really?! Well it was great! We went to Red Lobster and I think we totally hit it off! To be honest I wanted to ask you out on another date before all of this chaos broke out."

"That does not make any sense. Why would I have gone on a date with you when I was with Mark?" Ellie was flattered he had wanted to ask her out again but this whole thing still felt like a huge pre-planned lie. She still wished he was telling the truth, it just wasn't quite believable.