VI: Alquia

Cyan

On my way to Adria's classroom, the dumbfounding scene last night kept on repeating in my head. Akala niya siguro, biro lang ang pag-aaral ng mahika. How simple minded of her. I'm already standing outside the classroom's door, when I noticed her approaching. May ilang estudyante na rin ang lumalabas.

"What are you supposed to be?" tanong ko nang makita ang ayos niya. She's wearing big eye glasses with thick black frames, which I have no idea where she could have gotten. Her hair is even tied into two braids like thick black ropes. "What do you think you are, some kind of genius?"

"This is to show you how strong my resolution is!" seryoso niyang sagot.

Her way of thinking is beyond normal. It's stupidly outrageous.

"Are you saying, that by changing the way you look your brain will start to function?"

"I fail to see why how I look should be any of your concern!"

"I also fail to see how this will help you surpass me."

"Wala ka nang pakialam do'n," angil niya. "Saka bakit ka nandito?!" She didn't hid the fact that she's exasperated just by the sight of me.

"Araw-araw may nakalaang apat na oras para sa student apprentice na makasama ang kanyang senior guardian. I am somewhat your tutor. I'll assist you with homeworks, guide you with spells and other things regarding magic."

Hindi gano'n kadali matuto ng mahika. It's harder than math, and much more complicated than science.

She just gave out a sigh. At the least, it looks like she now understands that I'm meant to be here.

"Follow me, genius." I called to her before walking. Sumunod naman siya ng tahimik. "Have you memorized at least some, of what's in the handbook?"

"Memorized all of it!" nagmamalaki niyang tugon.

Our conversation continued as we walk passed classrooms and students that're loitering about.

"I'll know if you're lying."

"Why don't you just try me?" panghahamon niya pa. She's getting ahead of herself again.

"Okay little miss genius, give me a place in this castle where students are not allowed to enter."

"The library of unknown spells."

Saglit man akong natigilan, sinundan ko agad ng tanong ang sagot niya para makasigurado. "And why is that?"

"Hundreds of destructive enchantments are kept safe in that library. Ang reyna lang din ang makakapagbukas sa pinto ng aklatang 'yon."