Chapter three

Yanli stared out to the edge of the forest, patiently waiting for her brothers, at the gate of Lotus Pier. She held a lantern with the YunmengJiang crest on it, expelling the darkness from around her. This was her favourite lantern, one she had cherished and never let go of. It was the same one she had used all those years ago to look for a young Wei Ying, when he and Jiang Cheng had an argument.

Beside her feet was basket of full of lotus seeds she had collected through the day as a little surprise, knowing that her brothers would be exhausted and hungry when they arrived.

"Miss Jiang, it is getting late. We should go back. We can wait for them in the banqueting hall." A maid implored Yanli. Night had fallen, engulfing everything it touched with darkness, but she did not move. The darkness didn't frighten her.

"Let's just wait a little while longer. They can't be too far."

The maid just nodded her head, knowing she couldn't do anything to change her mind.

Minutes passed like hours for the maid, as she looked nervously into the edge of the forest. She could only see a pitch black behind the first few trees. Yanli spotted something emerging from the forest. She squinted, trying make out what it was.

"Shijie!" Jiang Cheng galloped towards her, his disciple close behind him. They were finally back

A welcoming smile spread acrosa Yanli's face. "How was the journey?" she asked, picking up the basket full of lotus pods. She looked at all the familiar faces, but frowned when she didn't see one. "Where's a-xian?"

"Shijie, we got attacked on-"

"Attacked?!" Yanli dropped the basket and grabbed Jiang Cheng's arm, worried, "You're not hurt are you? Where's a-xian? Is he OK?"

"We are all OK. I don't know what we got attacked by, just our swords couldn't do any damage to them. It was like their bodies were made out of stone, and our swords just-"

"Where's a-xian?" Yanli asked again, her voice trembled, fearing for the worst. It had only been a week since he had returned home.

"He captured one of the creatures. He went to look for it, to figure out what it was."

"And you thought it would be a good idea to leave him there? What if he's in danger?"

"Don't worry Shijie. I gave him some signals. If he's in danger, he can send one up, and we'll go to is aid." Jiang Cheng reassured Yanli before telling the disciples to go and rest in their rooms before dinner.

"Let's go inside Shijie, it's so cold. We can wait for him in the banqueting hall."

Reluctantly, Yanli agreed to back to the safety of Lotus Pier. Jiang Cheng got off his horse, and helped Yanli onto it, holding the reigns as they went back.

An hour and a half had passed, and Wei Ying hadn't returned, nor had he released a signal.

Yanli paced her room, constantly looking at her door, as any second, someone would come and tell her that a-xian was back.

"Where are you a-xian? Come home. Don't leave us again." she whispered to herself. She couldn't bear the thought of their separation again.

Jiang Cheng waited in the hall for his brother, but seeing there was no sign of him coming, he started to feel anxious.

"Get my horse ready." he ordered. He needed to go and look for his brother. If something had happened to him, he would never be able to forgive himself.

"Yes, Sect Leader." A young boy bowed and ran out. He came back a few minutes later.

"Your horse is ready. Do you want us to come with you?" The disciple asked, half hoping he would decline.