~PROLOGUE~

~~~

Drizzle ran through the thunderstorm, clutching her egg.

Her beloved husband, Tang, had been missing for three weeks and the Queen wasn't doing ANYTHING about it. Nothing at all.

So it was up to her to save her dragonet.

All up to me. Yay.

She had to get the egg to safety; somewhere it could hatch, preferably NOT in the awful rain.

Drizzle's talons made a soft THUMP-THUMP as they hit dark blades of grass, drenched in the rain and illuminated by moonlight.

The moonlight.

All three moons were full, the brightest night being- well, now.

But dragonets didn't hatch with special powers. Did they?

The thought slithered up Drizzle's spine like a snake. Her usual cool navy and light blue scales became a ripple of purple anxious, spearmint green fear, and sky blue curiosity before simmering back down to regular.

What would happen if her dragonet hatched with special abilities? Drizzle knew it was impossible, but the fantasy still lingered.

She stopped to catch her breath as a loud thunderclap shook the trees like a scavenger would its tiny sharp stick.

You must keep moving. You cannot be taken like Tang and Treefrog and all your other friends. Your duty is to keep your dragonet safe. And to raise her- the dragonet- to be strong. Not weak like her mother.

How did Drizzle know the dragonet was a girl?

Just one of your 'motherly instincts.' Just like how you 'KNEW' she would hatch today.

She muttered something under her breath and kept on running until she saw a cave, far in the distance and only seen at the crackle of lightning.

Aha.

"Here we go, my little dragonet," she said. "This is where our journey begins... Periwinkle."

~

Drizzle collapsed at the mouth of the cave, careful not to squash her precious cargo. A warm glow of fire dried off her wet scales.

Wait.

Fire? 

Someone lives here.

She glanced up to see a dragon she thought she'd never, ever in her entire lifetime see. Something she thought was a myth.

A NightWing. 

 What's she doing here? In the rainforest? Can you read my mind? STOP READING MY MIND.

The NightWing didn't even flinch.

"Um. Hi. Hello," Drizzle said shakily.

The night dragon gave a short smile and waved.

Drizzle noticed how thin the NightWing was. She was sure she could count every single bone in the dragon's body.

"I-I'm Drizzle. I've heard about NightWings in legends and myths. Can you actually read my mind?"

She shrugged.

"What's your name?"

The NightWing opened her mouth and pointed to it, then shook her head.

"You can't speak?"

She nodded.

"Oh. There must be some way you can tell me. I can't read... Maybe try and act it out?" Drizzle suggested.

She nodded again, pointed to the fire and then to her mouth.

"Fire..tooth? Firetongue? Firebreath?"

The NightWing shook her head at all three.

"Um. Does it start with fire?'

A no. Then, she pointed at the glowing flames again, soft like a dragonet's scales.

Her dragonet.

But I should find out the NightWing's name first.

"Flamespeaker?"

No.

She pointed to her mouth first and then the flames.

"Silentfumes?"

A yes.

"Okay, Silentfumes. I was wondering if I could stay here, with my dragonet, Periwinkle-"

And then a sharp pain in her head, then blackness.

~~~

Moral of the Story: Dont trust NightWings ;-;

They steal your dragonets, and steal your life.

Hopefully another chapter will be out afterschool tomorrow? I have to go to sleep now :c

But did you like the chapter? Let me know in the comments! Bye!