Born to be Brave

Yes, the title is a HSMTMTS reference.
The above pic is Dia's Homecoming dress. Hope you enjoy.

Dia' POV

Is it weird that I'm scared out of my mind? I mean, it's just a school dance, but it's the first school dance I've ever been to. And the boy that I like is going to be there. And I have this gut feeling that Regina is going to do something. But I'm still going. Aunt Nina took me shopping as a congratulations for getting the lead. My dress is knee length, with a black top and a red patterned skirt. I've got new black Converse to wear with it, now dubbed my "special occasion Converse". A pair of my mom's gold earrings and I'm set. I'm letting Carla do my hair, like always, but this time she said that I had no choice about what she would do with it. Hope this doesn't backfire on me.

By the time Carla is done with my hair I'm almost late and getting impatient. Then she turns the chair around.
"Woooo, chica. That Hamilton boy of yours won't be able to take his EYES off you."

"DANI!"

Her comments don't even bother me this time. Because I look like a princess. Carla gave me this really cool braided thing that looks like it came straight out of a Disney movie. And I love it. I stand in front of the mirror and spin around a bit, watching my dress twirl like I'm a little kid playing dress-up. Then I look at the clock. Oh shoot. Uncle Benny is driving me to the dance, and I was supposed to be in his car five minutes ago.

"Gotta go, thanks Carla! I love it!"

As I'm running out the door, my mom calls from behind me.

"Dia!"

I turned around, wondering what was up.

"Have a good time, alright. Don't worry about anything, just have fun."

"Thanks, mamá."

And I'm out the door, down the street, in Uncle Benny's car. There's little conversation on the way to the school. Uncle Benny seems to realize that I'm too nervous to talk. Quicker than I would like we were at the school. There's lights and music coming from the gym, where the dance is being held. Uncle Benny drops me off outside with a smile and a few quick words about what he would do to any boy who messed with me. Then I'm alone outside the gym. Ms. Laurens is sitting at a table at the entrance, and she gives me a smile as I walk up.

"Dia! You look beautiful. Just let me see your ticket and check your bag, then you're all set."

"Thanks Ms. Laurens."

She checks my bag, then waves me through to the gym. But before I walk all the way past her, she leans over and whispers one last thing.

"You're gonna knock the socks off that nephew of mine."

That makes me blush, and she waves me into the gym with a laugh. I step inside, and I'm immediately bombarded by rainbow lights, dancing teenagers, and Don't Stop Believin' blaring loudly through speakers. My first high school dance. Let's do this.

Phillip's POV

Who thought it would be a good idea to give Race a microphone? Someone is letting him announce all the slow dances and whatever. It's actually really funny. I've just been sitting at our table with one of those tiny plastic cups full of lemonade, listening to Race flirt with his boyfriend over the loudspeakers. But then I almost spill my cup all over Janis and Damien's matching sparkly purple suit jackets. Because Dia just walked in. Gosh, she's beautiful.

"You've got it baaaaaad, Hamilton."

"What do you want NOW Frances?"

"You've been staring at Dia since she walked in. Your jaw dropped, and you still haven't closed your mouth."