Chapter 2

Previously:

...who am I to deserve her love as the year of the cat?

All I want to be able to do is hug her... even once

"Do you know how babies are made?"

"Kazuma has news for you..."

---

"It's been silent for almost twenty minutes, Master. You sure you can't tell me on the way? Not like anyone can hear."

"I'm sure, Kyo. To be honest with you, I have been keeping what I need to tell you for a long while. I'm just not sure how to break it to you. There is no easy way."

"Is it about Tohru?"

"No, but it will be detrimental to her as well as you. That is all I am going to say right now. If you want my help I suggest not pushing it."

"I understand, Master."

I have to protect Tohru at all costs, even at the cost of my own happiness. I need to be selfless for her, for the one that does not have a selfish bone in her body. To make a decision completely for her own benefit. Even if it destroys me.

Those ten more minutes to the dojo went by like ten more hours. The only sound inlaying my ears is the unrest brought upon by the trees and my strained thoughts. Usually, I wouldn't mind the nature, but "...it will be detrimental to her as well..." 

Master opened the slide door for me and I entered, sitting at his table.

"Kunimitsu, do you mind going out for awhile? I need to speak to my son."

Son. That never gets old.

"Of course, I'll leave immediately."

"Thank you, Kunimitsu."

Kunimitsu nods and heads out the door. I watch him until I cannot see him anymore, afraid to face Master.

"Kyo, I have been contemplating the many ways I could break it to you. I have even considered interpretive dance," he forces a chuckle. "I came to the realization that the most efficient way is to just say it to you straight out," Master takes a deep breath. "Do you remember when I was called out of the house while Tohru and you visited?"

"When we made curry?"

"Exactly, the one who called me in was your biological father."

"What?! That bastard! What did he want!?"

"He thinks you should be like my grandfather was, locked up."

"I already know that," I was cracked before but now I feel as though I am in pieces. I knew deep down but I did what I always do. I hid.

"You do? Did he contact you?"

"No, I just knew. I was surprised to be out like this for as long as I have been."

"I told him that I do not care about who tries to get in my way, I will keep you safe."

"You can try all you like, Master. If Akito asks me, you know I cannot fight him. The bond is too strong."

"I believe that you can fight it. You have a newfound motivation. You have Tohru. I like to think that I am a motivation for you as well."

"After what I am about to do, Tohru won't want to be around. I am not going to drag her through the mud on my account," I start to sob like I never have before.