Chapter 3

Previously:

"He thinks you should be like how my grandfather was, locked up."

"Break her heart," I said it. I meant it. I disdained it but I know that there is no other viable option.

"She doesn't want me though. She wants you."

I sat still in the bath. I couldn't even feel the water burning my skin, I could see it turning red from how hot it was, but there was no sensation. I let my eyes wander to try and get back into my senses and they stopped at Tohru's rubber duck.

~.~.~

"Tohru, why the hell is there a rubber duck in the bathroom! What are you five?!"

"Oh! Sorry, Kyo," Tohru twirled her hair. "My mom gave it to me when I was little. I didn't like bathing so she got it for me to play with. I never got rid of it."

I was taken aback.

Say something, say something! Don't be a jerk! Apologize, do something!

"It's fine!" You damn idiot. You fucking loser can you not be so mean to her! For once!

"I'll go put it in my room! Sorry!" She scrambled but before she passed me I lightly put my fist on her head.

"Don't worry about it. Just leave it. The duck isn't harming anyone."

"A-are you sure?"

"YE-" take a deep breath, Kyo. She's just trying to be considerate. "Yeah, I'm sure."

"Okay!" She started walking up to her room.

"Wait," Tohru stopped in her tracks. "Yes, Kyo?"

"You know, you're really something," she beamed with a smile so gracious. "As are you, Kyo," I found my expression matching hers. I don't know if it was to the same magnitude, but..."

"Yuki is helping me study, do you need anything?"

"Nah, I can take care of myself."

"I WASN'T TRYING TO UNDERESTIMATE YOU OR MAKE IT SOUND LIKE YOU WEREN'T CAPAB-"

"Tohru," I rested my hands on her shoulder. "Tohru..."  her face rubricated more each time I said her name. Huh, maybe I should see what happens if I say it again. Mess with her a bit. "Tohru?" As I guessed, it happened again. I wonder why hearing her name is so embarrassing for her.  It's quite cu- WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, KYO! "Kyo? Are you alright? You called my name a few times."

"I know that! I was just in my head."

"O-oh, but you're okay?" She looked genuinely worried, I suppose that is normal though. "Yeah, I'm okay. Don't worry about me so much. Go study with the damn rat and focus on yourself."

"Okay! You know where I am if you need me!"

"Even if I did need you I wouldn't go into that damn rats room!" Tohru closed her eyes and tilted her head with a smile. It was then I realized that I want to see that smile more often.