Chapter Twenty-One

ELIOTT

We spoke for hours on end following that. I didn't get a second's rest, but I didn't mind. 

We didn't bring up our past. Neither of us really attempted to. It was clear he wanted to forget, and so did he; and just like that, I was finally letting myself forget.

Piece by piece, all at once, Eric no longer existed in my memory. 

I had forgotten. 

Not entirely, the crumbs of every memory would still remain; and I wouldn't want to be forgetting them anytime soon. Because, no matter how much thinking about them made my heart hurt, I've learned to accept the pain as it is.

"What's something you've done that you're proud of yourself for, then?" he questioned from the other line. 

"Hm," I began. I tossed the little red ball in my head at the ceiling and watched as it fell back down into my hand, only to repeat the action. "Think when I went swimming when I was fourteen despite being so scared of water. I even acted like I wasn't scared and all that."

"A whistle in the dark," he hummed. "That's what it's called. When you put on a brave front and do something even when you're secretly terrified. I think that's pretty cool of you, Eliott. You're a cool guy."

That made me let out a chuckle, "I guess you're a cool guy too." 

"You guess?" he gasped, feigning offence. "You don't sound too sure. Am I secretly an uncool guy?"

God, we sounded so old yet so young at the same time. 

"What's your answer then?"

"Oh.. I'd have to think about that one," he said with a quiet laugh. 

"Look at you asking me a question without having thought about the answer yourself," I pointed out with a snort. "That's so like you to do, Elias."

"Hey, I'm trying," he retorted; all the while, I could hear his smile. 

We went silent. 

Then, like he always did, he broke the silence, "Can you describe the sky right now for me?"

"The sky? Right now?" I questioned in confusion. 

"Yeah."

"You want me to look out my window and describe the sky?"

"That's what I'm saying, yes."

"Why don't you look outside yourself?" I chuckled. "We're under the same sky."

"We're under the same sky," he parroted. "But we see it differently."

"Why do you say that?" 

"Because you and I are different," he stated. "And so we think different thoughts."

"There you go, being all philosophical again," I laughed, shaking my head before making my way over to the window and looking up at the sky. 

"The moon's nowhere to be seen," I commented. 

"That's because it's nearly five in the morning," he pointed out. "Are you tired?"

"No," I confessed before clearing my throat and allowing myself to concentrate. 

The sky was tinted a pale yet dull blue with an warm orange tint smeared over it like a renaissance painting. The sun was beginning to show itself, hidden behind the shadows of the clouds that scattered themselves across the canvas. 

There was nothing to describe. I couldn't find the right words for it.

"It's.. beautiful," was all I said. 

It was all I could say.

"That's all?" he questioned, obviously grinning. 

"I don't know what to say," I admitted sheepishly. "All I can say is that it looks beautiful. Why don't you describe it for me then?"

He let out a barely audible hum and I heard some movement on the other line before he finally spoke, "It-.. looks beautiful."

"That's exactly what I said, be original," I scoffed playfully. 

"Come on now, there's really nothing to say, it's beautiful- that's about it," he complained with a childish noise. 

"But you said we think different thoughts."

"Forget what I said."

The both of us burst out into a fit of laughter following that. Fooling around with him was something I would never get tired of. 

"Eliott?" he said after we had composed ourselves. 

"Eliott?" I began before correcting myself after having cursed under my breath. "I mean- Elias?"

"Did you really call me Eliott?" he questioned after a brief pause. I could easily envision him shaking his head at me with that smile on his face. 

"We're never talking about that again," I warned in a playful manner. "What was it you wanted to say to me?"

"I kind of wanna see you again," he admitted. "I had a lot of fun with you. I really want to see you again."

"I really want to see you too," I started. "But where would we go? We've done and seen everything there is to do and see."

"No we haven't," he began. "We haven't gone stargazing."

"You're still hung up on that, huh?" I chuckled. "Fine, if that's what you want, we'll go stargazing."

"Don't act like you wouldn't enjoy it," he retorted. "When then?"

"You rhymed," I pointed out before realizing that it didn't even matter at all. "Are you down-"

"Tomorrow? Well.. today?" 

"So soon? You really miss me then, huh?"

"Eliott."

"Sorry, sorry! Fine, that's fine with me. What time?"

"I'll text you the time and place, we should probably head to bed now," he noted with a yawn. "Goodnight. I look forward to seeing you again."

He hung up before I could tell him that I looked forward to seeing him too.