Chapter 1: A Request

On the day when the sun gave its brightest sheen with almost little to no warmth, it called upon the winter who was waiting calmly just around the corner. And unknown to all, a little butterfly was creating a storm deep into the endless shadows.

Sipping his luxurious tea at the 'Frontal Cafe', Augustus was seated near the infamous maple tree. Mesmerised by the whole scenery, for him this past twenty minutes of peace was splendid.

He didn't know what came over him but for the first time in forever, tried the 'jasmine with the blend of mint' tea. The only one his deceased mother was obsessed about.

All he could think with every sip was, 'Hmm, though the taste is peculiar, it's not overpowering. Perhaps the secret lies in the ratio of both the blend.'

He thought, maybe just like this maple tree, shedding their leaves little by little. He just liked the tree he wanted to show. He was now ready to march forward towards his bright future.

Thin and slim fingers yet a bit turned tips were tapping on the freshly put tablecloth creating a familiar yet a dull rhythm. A habit Augustus couldn't let go of. Distressed by what was in front of him.

He picked up and felt the thick fabric of the scroll and sighed. The fabric had no importance in his life, but the content inside seems to be burdensome.

Like wildfire, the rumours fell into his ears. He could already figure what was written inside.

He couldn't understand what the Lord was thinking?

What could be the reason that His Majesty put forward such a decree?

Looking at the victorious red cloth with the little embroidered phoenix with gold thread. He knew it was unofficial. The Emperor was not commanding, rather requesting him.

And this little scroll showed that intention, immensely pressuring him.

Even thinking about it made his brain short-circuit and he needed to let it out.

Suffocated and confused, he groaned.

Long and loud, people glanced at him once, some twice. Some in understanding, few in disdain. And a very few people who were keen enough looked at the scroll and then at him, looking at him with full of compassion. Well, this wasn't exactly a place where one could easily show their emotions.

But he didn't care.

No, he couldn't!

That bubbling tension with a little action was now out of control. Still, it wasn't enough. He wanted to stomp his feet, shout in frustration.

"Sir, you are requested to give your answer by the end of this evening. And His Majesty asked you to speak to him while he is at his resting chamber.", said the same man who handed him this damned scroll.

"Yes, I understand. So, I'll beg your pardon and will kindly ask you to return to the palace.", irritated, Augustus said.

"T-That I can't do, His Majesty specifically requested me to stand near you while you read the scroll. As retold he said, 'I don't trust you, Augustus.'"

'Humph, so he knows me!'

He tugs on the golden rope and with another sigh opens up the scroll.

'It seems to sigh is now going to be part of my daily routine.', the young nobleman thought.

***

Click! Click!

The sound of his sole echoed throughout the well-cleaned floor. Every step reminded him if he was making the correct choice. His synced breath and his feet finally pulled him towards his destination. The door in front, tall and bold, making him reluctant to go.