Chapter 2: Return of the Exiled Prince

'Augustus Addington

379th year of the Alsisar Dynasty.

I, the Emperor Maxillium Alsisar, write this letter to you as great despair is about to fall upon this Empire.

By Heaven's wishes, you are the only one I could turn to. Since the oldest times, when Heavens left this Empire blessed with fair judgement. This Empire time and again faced a few dilemmas, one being some thirty years ago.

The Great Emperor, John Madok Alsisar, my granduncle and my predecessor, banished his only son, the crown prince Giles Madok Alsisar at the young age of nineteen.

Saying that my royal uncle could only return once he turns into ashes. And made me the next heir while exchanging a promise with my royal father. A promise too scandalous that could drag the whole royal family down.

Royal granduncle said his son, Prince Giles bloodline, should never continue.

However, being blessed, my royal uncle had a child, but that was a son. Now the royal council is in a difficult position, as the youth now has turned into a man. Many of us are paranoid about why did the Late Emperor John exile his immediate bloodline.

What would that blood bring to the fate of this Empire?

And by the time I write this letter, my royal cousin must be on his journey to return to the capital.

Foretold by the royal seer, they came up with a holy decree. A cure that could save the future of this Empire. As per the decree, the exiled prince must marry a person born with the time when the Almighty Creator rests and the sky darkens. While the stars are shaping the constellation Aquarius with the blessed full moon.

Searching high and low, everyone, even a person with just a drop of noble blood, I was put to rest when I was told it was only you who was born at the exact time and is still unmarried.

As you can tell where the letter is going. Hope you take the hand in marriage and accept my royal cousin as your future husband.

My friend, I hope you accept this friend's genuine request.'

"Does it make sense?" Augustus' father boomed. His father understood the meaning behind this 'request'.

Maxillium was underhandedly trying to take control over his 'cousin' and the Dukedom of Addington. One of the few nobles who doesn't support nor oppose the Emperor. His father was furious at the once a young man, now his master.

After Maxillium was crowned, he has slowly yet surely changed.

Augustus couldn't pinpoint where but he too thinks his once a dear friend changed a lot. The aura he excluded differed greatly from the one Augustus was familiar with.

'No! I am just being paranoid. Or is he now showing his true colours after gaining it all?'

Either way, this whole plea was not in the favour of the Addington's.

Augustus didn't like where his mind was leaning towards and shook his head.

He had pride over the fact that he could read a person pretty well. And as the heir to one of the Eight Great Dukedom, how could he not trust their Lord? This time too, like always, he would trust his friend.

He wouldn't forget the promises they made as children. Him being the Duke of Addington's who would only serve the Emperor Maxillium.

Ha! Heir?

What a joke?

Irritated, he focused his thoughts on his father, who was fuming. The man in front was still seated but held the opened scroll to his dear life. Looking closely, Augustus saw his father drew a thin frown, one that was only meant for when nothing was going in the favour of their dukedom.