Chapter 3: The Empire's Heir

"Shall I set up a date for the meeting?"

Maxillium's eyes focused on the world map in front while his hands focused on the paper and scribbled something as he directed his question to Augustus.

His left hand tugging the turtle neck, one could see he was getting uncomfortable with this specific winter wear of his. Sharp eyes focused on Augustus making him the focus.

Augustus's eyes moved from the Emperor's seat to the window on the other side of the desk. Nature outside calmed his inner turmoil.

Leaves since then had been dyed fiery orange and gently but surely started to blow away from its branches as autumn was about to end. Marking it as an end of cooperation with the Kingdom of Carna. That being the topic for what the busy military council has been gathered and were discussing before the question jumped out.

As the question was heard, the room fell into complete silence. It's been a week or so that the Emperor has declared that Augustus is his soon to be brother-in-law. And more a month since the day he has accepted the proposal. But there was no new news floating around it.

Since then everything was uneventful. Augustus didn't contact Eugene Giles Alsisar, the name of his fiance he found the next day of this surprising proposal and neither did the other party tried to contact him.

Time flowed and he continued to live, work and eat per usual. Busy with work his personal life was the last problem he was worried about or so he thought.

'Does he realise where he is?'

Augustus was furious but his face failed to show such a reaction. His eyes and face always carried a bored expression, confusing people what exactly he was thinking about.

But this man right here, the Emperor knew where to pull the trigger to irritate him, but Augustus couldn't guess why. Unconsciously he tapped his fingers to the hard wooden surface of his desk, an act he had no control over.

Even if his eyes were fixated on the paper, Augustus knew every pair of eyes were now hawking him for an answer. Excited and eager, now they shamelessly started to look at him. Though some, couldn't care less about what's going on. And very few were as annoyed as Augustus.

Most of his colleagues were teasing him.

Also, he didn't know, he was affiliated to so many people. But after this marriage decree, the congratulation gifts flooded the dark storage room in their mansion.

Augustus clicked his tongue, in their attempt to make him shy. So finally, he said, "I don't think it's appropriate to talk about my personal life here, Your Majesty. And from these reports, I have received from my end. The situation is no longer safe. We need our army to retreat as soon as possible. Our spy has already..."

"I don't think you heard what I said?" Cutting him off, Maxilluim said. He knew the Emperor wanted him to take the initiative and get close to his cousin.

As if wanting him to be flustered and embarrassed, the young Emperor asked again. "Do I need to arrange your meeting?"

Augustus was silent for more than half a second. If he didn't know Maxillium well he would have almost teared up in frustration. But he gathered himself up, and said, "Yes you can, You Majesty. Now shall we continue."

And soon the meeting came to an end, making the council members disperse, one back to their station. Like that Augustus too was about to vanish from Maxillium's sight for the rest of the day. Just then, "Mr Addington, since the meeting is finished. Should we continue where we left off?"

Maxillium was determined, not letting Augustus off the hook so easily. He knew this genius strategist of his would try to run away and not discuss this matter so easily.