Chapter 4: Humiliation

Wary, no person tried to make any form of contact with him. But it was not unusual for people to be scared of him, his background, the rumours following his eyes. This hasn't happened once or twice. It has happened for far many times that Eugene has given up on calculating.

He still remembered the time his body being the youngest version he could ever identify. Freshly exiled, not knowing what his future held. He and his father were thrown out of their comfort, suddenly without prior notice. Angered, he vowed, never to rest before he sends every single one who plotted against them to their grave.

But time didn't stop for his vengeance, it stopped for no one.

And soon his young mind grew into adolescence, forgetting the mindless revenge play. Forgotten, it didn't have any significance to him anymore. For his growing self, his father's health which was deteriorating day by day mattered. With no one to help by their side, he had to beg others to save his father's life. And his hard work paid off, only to be crushed most horrifically.

Frightened over this terrifying body that once used to be a human-made of flesh and blood, his weak and muddled self locked that body to rot in his father's bed-chamber. However, there was one thing that bugged him now, the fact that he's mentally unstable and never sent any letter to the royal head office. But a week later, after the rotten stench covered the whole eastern wing, people fully equipped came over with a royal seal saying they were here to serve him.

Funny, how they were the one who pushed him towards the edge to be traumatised with an insane man, called his father, ever since he was five. The more and more puzzle pieces he found, the father he was away from the big picture.

Eugene needed more pieces, and for that, he had to know how his royal father died. He had to know the truth. Back then, he was taken over by his intense feeling, that now he doubted if he should trust his memories. They could even be his imagination for survival.

'Your mind is a great servant, but a terrible master.' Those were the words his father uttered every time he'd get a sense of reality. Knowing his own body and mind, that he could no longer control and had become a slave of.

So, how could he believe that his father fought and lost his inner battle on his own? Perhaps, he did kill himself, but there are so many questions and unknown agenda left behind. Eugene couldn't trust anyone, not even himself.

What is the reason? Why is he trying so hard? Was it revenge or just to see the bigger picture? Eugene didn't know any of this but right now his adult self cared about the unanswered question left behind on his father's grave. And his need to find the 'real' truth.

Besides that, he needed to return to the royal city. He can't live in that castle forever, where no one knows when the time starts or stops, never to go forward or backwards.

The wandering mind reverted to the present. Only to realise he was already seated on the couch, beside the grand window. He didn't know if the messenger was sent to declare Maxillium his arrival, all he was told was to wait and so he waited.

He didn't know if he was stressed or his senses were getting weaker, it was now that he felt the presence of another person. Turning around, he saw a woman. She was beautiful, and the glaring shawl she draped around her shoulder embroidered with fiery phoenix, declared that she was the Empire's mother, the Empress.

"Your Majesty", hastily he said while getting up from his chair, walking towards her. Taking her hands, he kissed it lightly in a form of greeting.

"Oh, you have keen eyes, um. I have no idea how I should call you," she said, voice filled with guilt and eyes filled with sincerity. But, Eugene knew better.

"Though as of now, I am with no title, you can call me 'Royal Cousin-in-law'. As per the family tree declares." Unexpected but such a remark, her smile faltered a bit.

"Ahahaha! Yes! Yes! I'll do so cousin-in-law." She almost seethed, though her pearly white teeth formed a smile. And calculative eyes, trying to peel him until he was in his most vulnerable state.

After the small talk that was suddenly turned into a battlefield, they went silent. Eugene sighed and asked, " When can I have an audience with His Majesty?" Looking at him for some time, turning her head she murmured something to the oldest maid, amongst the others present with her. 'I suppose, she was the head maid.' Eugene thought.

The same old lady returned, and gracefully said, "His Majesty and Lord Strategist, are said to be returning together." With that, she was back standing in her previous position. From the old maid, Eugene's eyes once again found the Empress, only to see her fighting against a smirk.

Suddenly she coughed, "Ah, since he is almost here. I should go back." Eugene could almost hear her chime. Has he heard it wrong?

"Let's go!" the Empress commanded and left.

Baffled, with such an attitude, he laughed aloud. Stretched his hands and found the nearest seat, one in front of the door.

Seconds turned into minutes, and suddenly the closed-door finally opened, he turned his head to see what was going on. But his narrow vision only saw a couple of military soldiers, tensed the air amongst the group was heavy. Couldn't hear what they were talking, he turned his head and again faced the window.

"You are to report to me as soon as you finish your work." Eugene heard Maxillium say it to someone. But the receiver said nothing and seconds later, hurried footsteps sounded further and further away.

Hearing the heavy door fully open, Eugene stood up and turned to face his cousin, the Emperor, Maxillium.

"Your Majesty, how...." His words were cut off but a sudden hug. With such an unexpected gesture, Eugene was a bit flustered.

"Stop these nonsense formalities, and let's get back to the business." saying that Maxillium ushered him to sit.

"I have no idea how to explain this to you." Maxillium paused, brushed his hair sideways and continued, "You know how the council is against you, right?"

Indeed, the Emperor didn't cut around the corner. Eugene knew it too, he was a thorn to the throne and the Empire. His name alone could cause a lot of riots internally in the Empire.

"And you know what granduncle said before you and your father were exiled." Those words pierced deep in his heart making Eugene take a sharp breath. "But don't worry, I found a solution for you. It would be perfect and no one would dare to oppose you." eagerly Maxillium said. "And if you do as I say, no one would be against you when you received the title."

Eugene was a bit sceptical, the offer was too good to be true. Moreover, he didn't have to do anything in return?! He didn't believe in such kindness. Perhaps oblivious to him, someone must already have made a deal with the Emperor.

But he didn't voice it out. He went along and excitedly asked, "Really, what do I have to do?"

"Well, all you have to do is marry someone. One that has been chosen by me and approved by the council. And we already have one who has been approved and they too, have accepted the proposal."

Nodding enthusiastically, he signalled Maxillium to continue.

"A man, nobleman. His name is Augustus Addington. Actually, I was about to introduce you both. But it seems the circumstances were a bit..."

Eugene's mind went off. He clenched his fist, his jaws and could feel blood rushed to his head. Maxillium's mouth was still moving but his voice no longer reached Eugene.

'Is this a new way to humiliate him?'