Chapter 6

He withdrew his power and her body sagged in relief.

Two guards arrived in front of her, surveying her as she curled on her side, breathless.

“Why the noise, shrew? Was I too heavy handed for you yesterday?”

The men laughed to each other. Rebecca kept her silence.

“Speak, bitch! Or shall I come in there and make you?”

At this, possessiveness flooded Loki's body and a word flitted through his mind. Mine.

He spoke;

“I confess, though she deserves such attentions, the thought of you rutting in my sight sickens me somewhat.”

The two guards span round and begrudgingly bowed their heads. He smiled, pompously.

A prisoner, yet still a Prince.

“Lord Loki. I apologise for my frank words but this girl has been nothing but trouble since she arrived.”

“I'm sure. But do not disturb me with such matters.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

The guard turned and struck Rebecca's cell wall with his pike, making her jump.

“You! Keep quiet in there! One more outburst and I'll add to that decoration on your back!”

With a stiff nod towards Loki, the guards left to retake their posts.

Rebecca shuddered on the floor. After a moment surveying his work, Loki spoke.

“Now,” he cooed, “Are you more willing to converse? Or shall I loosen your tongue further?”

She shook her head, too wracked with pain and weakened by hunger to object.

Loki grinned.

“Good. Why were you sent here, assassin?”

Hissing at the agony of movement, she lifted herself up to kneel and began to speak, head bowed.

“I am of Vanaheim. Two years ago, Asgard soldiers came to my world to claim new slaves. None of my people thought they would choose from our village. We are peaceful, remote. But they came.”

Loki shifted forward, listening intently.

“They took four from us. All girls. All just of age. All virgins.” Her eyes met his. “You know why.”

“The Meretrix.” He said, coldly.

A tear slid from her eye. She brushed it away, her grief tinged with fury.

“Those beautiful, pure girls. Taken. For you. And your brother. And the rest of your corrupt, nefarious court. All of them made whores, prostituted at thirteen years of age for the... amusement of the Asgardian upper classes.”

Loki remained unmoved. He was not given to sentiment.

“And why, girl, should any of this matter to you? You were not chosen for subjugation. Why should your people send you to avenge these circumstances? We have recruited others from your world for such services before.”

“I chose to come.” Rebecca breathed deeply and turned her face away.

“They took my sister.”