Chapter 10

“Get up girl and dress yourself quickly, we're going on a little trip.” ,Loki murmured.

He released his grip on her and she sat up, gulping down air.

“What are you doing in..?” she began, but her interrupted her sharply.

“Answers will be given to you later. For now, I must ask that you do as I ask without question. Do you understand?”

Whispering her assent, she rose and quickly pulled on her clothes, grateful of the murky blackness that obscured her semi-naked form from his gaze.

Loki waited, eyes moving impatiently and alert to each and every noise coming from the dungeon. He was focused on escape, he could taste it. Resolving himself to take the girl had torn at his nature. He had partly convinced himself it was due to her promised skill with weapons, or that he could use her as bait to distract any guards should they become trapped.

“I'm ready.”, came her soft voice from behind him.

“I can only assume you know how to use this, assassin.”, he breathed, pressing her hand about the hilt of a conjured sword.

“Not my favourite, but it will just have to do.”, she replied, a bold smile in her voice.

His lips twitched at her facetiousness, and he pulled her after him to the humming magical boundary of her confines.

“We will be rendered invisible by my powers and must slip out at the change of the guard but I require total silence, do you understand?” he breathed.

Not waiting for a response, Loki drew his hands over the window, pulling back the magical fabric to create a door. Rebecca recognized the same buzzing that had disturbed her minutes before.

Heart pounding, she stepped lightly after Loki, through the partition and down the steps to the dungeon floor. She felt the familiar cool, liquid sensation of magic pouring over her, concealing them and then Loki's hand taking hers.

Walking softly to avoid noticeable footsteps, they reached the heavy iron doors just as the guard's replacements entered, and slipped out behind them under the cover of their mindless chatter. The candlelight gave her the chance to see her liberator up close for the first time. His green and gold armour, the fact that he was a good foot taller than her and, sure enough, the sun's rays in his eyes.

As they rounded the corner he backed her into a small recess in the wall, wrapping his strong arms about her waist. They were close, very close to each other and his mouth curled into a grin at the catch of her breath in her throat. She looked up at him, encompassed by the alien feeling of his closeness after a week of being metres away.

Leaning his face down to hers, he ran his lips along her jawline, making her eyes close, as he knew they would. He brought them to hers, barely, just barely grazing them there, before tearing them away, mischief gleaming in his eyes.

“Hold on.”, he laughed.

Her eyes flew open, anger rising in her as she realised he was only mocking her, but before she could respond, her vision blurred, there was a pull in her stomach and the world fell away.