Chapter 11

She landed with a thump, feeling sick to her stomach, hitting the floor at Loki's feet as he suppressed a laugh.

“Transportation is difficult the first time, you will recover.”

“You, are a beast.”, she hissed through her hyperventilation.

“And you are a traitor to the crown.”, he replied, moving towards her, “I think that makes us even.”

After he helped her to her feet, Loki began to move around the room, opening drawers and wardrobes whilst Rebecca took in their surroundings. They were in a dark chamber, cold, as if uninhabited for some time, with a high ceiling and opulent green and filigree décor. Dominating the space was a huge bed, velvet and satin covered with curtain draping at each corner. She had never imagined such comfort and felt drowsy just looking at it.

“My old quarters are a change from what you're used to, I know.”

Loki's words brought her back to reality as he handed her a leather knapsack to match the one he now slung across his body.

“Why have you brought us here? Why not out of the castle?”, she questioned.

“Provisions.”, he answered, patting the bag that lay just above his hip.

Swiftly, he was holding her again, the pull on her abdomen familiar this time. She faltered only slightly as they landed, knees buckling, but not falling and he was impressed at her quick adjustment to transportation. Immediately, he brought his finger to her lips, stilling her to silence.

They were in the shadows of a courtyard now. Footsteps echoed on the stones underfoot. Guards on patrol. Glancing about, she saw the harbour, lined with small carrier ships. Now she understood.

There were only two guards here, one dispatched quickly from behind by Loki's dagger across his throat and the other joining him soon after. He toppled their now limp bodies into the water far below and beckoned her to join him on board the nearest vessel.

Eyes trained on the mountains in the distance he started the ship, pressing gently on the buttons at the controls.

“Onward to freedom, eh, lady?”, he grinned.

She only had a moment to register the unparalleled joy on his face before they surged at lightening speed into the night.

She had never flown so quickly, and terror gripped her. He was clearly a master at the helm, smoothly guiding them around obstacles, dodging and swerving with ease and obvious pleasure. She clung to the side, wind whipping through her hair and watched uneasily as the mountains loomed up in front of them, getting ever closer.

“Shouldn't we be slowing down?”, she yelled above the wind's roar.

He answered with a throaty laugh and a wink.

The mountains grew nearer.

“No... really! Shouldn't we be slowing the Hel down?!”

Panic crept into her words.

He looked at the woman beneath him, hair a mass of flame thrashing around her in the gale and felt himself stiffen slightly under the glare of her anxious, wide eyes. He must remind himself to shock her more often if the result was so alluring.

“There are more ways than one to leave Asgard but if they were easy, everyone would be using them!”

The skiff shifted and she turned to see the small crevice in the rock face that they now resolutely headed for.

Spinning to face him she screamed;

“Are you mad?!”

“Possibly...”, he shrugged as the mountain closed in around them and they were pulled away from the world.