IX. Prince Charming (Pt. 1 of 2)

He was handsome, I'll give him that. A little on the caveman side given his heavy brow, and his unkempt black sideburns made it impossible to take his constant scowl seriously, but he was definitely handsome... and built.

I found my eyes zipping up and down his lightly tanned arms, noting the way his tattoos caused each and every muscle to pop. His cutoff jacket didn't help that either.

"So are you gonna tell me where we're going, or are you just gonna stare?"

I sighed and looked out the window, watching a red leaf fall from the empty branches of a nearby tree. Attractive as Adam's body was, his personality left much to be desired. He was rude and gruff and never passed up an opportunity to make it very clear that he didn't want to spend his Saturdays with me.

It had already been four weeks since the community center said they'd finally found someone to drive me around town, and like an idiot, I'd dared to get my hopes up when they showed me Adam's picture. Maybe it was just from being cooped up in the house all the time, but the thought of a bad boy hunk escorting me around my old haunts seemed like a dream come true... and I'd long since given up on dreams.

"I'm staring because I'm waiting." I replied as nicely as I could. "Let's go."

Adam uncoiled himself from the armchair, and despite my irritation I had to suppress a flutter in my heart at the way he towered over me. I sat up straight, making sure my low-hanging puff kept clear of the wheelchair handles as Adam gripped them.

I still remember the old me. Three years ago, Iesha Franklin had everything a high school senior could ever ask for; wonderful friends, a boyfriend who doted on her, even a scholarship thanks to her prowess on the running track. She really was a golden girl whose life was perfect in every single way.

And then a drunk driver hit her in an intersection, damaging her spinal chord and paralyzing her from the waist down... and she turned into me. Bitter, hopeless me.

It was amazing how "best friends" seemed to not have time for me anymore, how that boy who promised he was going to marry me stopped calling and moved out of state. How that university... well, no, they actually had an excuse. Couldn't expect them to shell out grant money for a charity case; especially when she dropped out of school.

A crack in the pavement jostled me out of self-pity mode, and I surfaced feeling worse than ever. I hated how quickly I crawled into myself nowadays, how easy I found it to brood over the sad life I lived. I was tired of being a loser.

"Well, you'll be happy to know that you've only got another two weeks with me after today." Adam huffed as we neared that familiar white van. "After that I'm off to pick up trash or whatever else the city can think up to make my life miserable."

Still, at least I wasn't as bad as Adam. He apparently ran up a ton of fines for running red lights, and had taken community service instead of paying for them off of a plea deal. Volunteering to help the infirmed wasn't at the top of his list, though.

"With that attitude I'm sure you won't be having any more trouble with the law."

I felt dark satisfaction at the way Adam's lip curled as I said this. Shameful as it was, I enjoyed having a punching bag who wasn't allowed to fight back.

Adam did make sure to jostle me as we pulled up to the rental van he'd been given to drive me around, though. Despite looking like a muscle head, he could actually be clever with retaliation when properly motivated; and my insults were very motivating.