Midnight Broadcast

I opened my eyes and found myself in the same dreary room I've been spending my whole life in. The hollow feeling in my heart clearly told me that I can't sleep now. Decided not to waste my time counting sheep to get myself to sleep, I got out of the bed. The clock on the wall read 12:08, which meant that I couldn't have a bit of shut-eye for even 2 hours. I wore the dark silk robe hanging beside the bed and ambled towards the table where gramophone was set. I turned it on and the melody of the cello spread through the manor.

I turned around and saw the mirror who did not hesitate to reflect the truth about the void girl standing before it. She was the last descendant of Everleigh family living now in the dead mansion away from the city carrying the last hope for her family. She grew up in the society with everyone carrying dozens of masks with them, just trying to survive. She was delicate. She was lonely.

With a small sigh, I decided to turn away and get out of the room that was haunting me. Dim lights in the hall were showing me the way. My moving steps got to a sudden halt. I tilted my head to the right and saw the grand door of my late grandfather's room that was calling me. It's been ages I or any maid have entered the room. That room seemed to be locked. But right at this moment, I was summoned from inside the room. I walked towards the door and felt the cool brass handle beneath my skin. With no hesitation, I turned the handle and the door opened at my command.

The grand room that once proudly showed the greatness of the Everleigh now rested in the dust. The moonlight entering the room from the windows and the melody of the cello entering the room mystified the atmosphere. I walked aimlessly in the room exploring everything it was presenting me. A beautiful old radio sat patiently on the table. I pressed the power button and moved on with going over with the room. A swift sound came out of the radio made my heart skip a beat. After calming down my eyes opened with the shock that the radio was working! The sound of some random song clashed with that of the cello. I tried the knob to turn the channels. They were all modern channels. Was it surprising or not, I couldn't decide. I kept turning the knob to listen to something, but every sound that came out of the old machine kept crashing with the cello melody.

The moment I decided to give up there was a big pause. I silently prayed that I have not broken the radio and inspected it. I turned the volume up and turned the channel again. Decided to give up I walked away from it.

"Mass is not proportional to volume"

My legs came to an abrupt stop. The voice of the man was so sincere and deep that it caught me on the web by just one line. I turned towards the radio with big anticipated eyes for the man to continue.

"A girl as small as violet

A girl who moves like a flower petal

Is pulling me towards her with more force than her mass"

I sat right at the spot on the big antique chair, keenly listening to the words that were coming out of someone's heart. The cello melody coming from my room perfectly synced with the voice.

"Just then, I am

Like Newton's apple

I rolled towards her

without stopping

Until I fell on her

With a thump, with a thump thump"

The heartbroken sound mirrored by emotions at the moment. I put a hand on my heart to calm it down a bit.

"My heart

Keeps bouncing between the sky and the ground

It was my first love"

Silence.

All I greeted after the poem was silence. Tiredness engulfed me and I decided to sleep in the very room my grandfather forbidden me to enter.

I woke up in the morning with familiar verses in my head. I headed towards the radio to check it out. Just as I was about to touch it, the maid entered the room.

"Miss Iona! You have dirt all over you, let me fix you a bath. The breakfast is ready. Would you like to have it in your room or the dining hall where you have a meeting with Mr.Harington?"I sighed. My day was begun.

At night I waited by the radio on the same channel for the voice. The maids were ordered to clean the room up, for I will be using it for some time. One night passed.

A week turned into a month. Month in two.

My sleeping routine was disturbed and I was in the room drowsing off on the chair with my bed. No voice comes out of the radio anymore. But something in me kept me dragging and wait. Before I knew it, I was asleep.

My eyes opened the second time that night and I sat straight. I looked at the radio that rested in its place unfazed. I decided to officially call it a night and proceeded towards my room. I was about to exit the room when the same voice that haunted me for very long proliferated in the room.

"You've been waiting."

The sentence was so alarming that I couldn't decide if I have stopped breathing because of shock or fear. I dared not to turn back. The sentence was not meant for me. Right? After counting ten I turned towards the radio when it said, "I'm sorry for the pain of wait you went through. I am sorry I'm late."

Just as I was trying to comprehend the meaning, the grand jingle of the main door rang.

                      *|*

Hello and welcome to anyone who is reading. Hope you like my story.

Dislaimer; the verses in the text are not mine.