3. Together, Old and New

"I thought it was a myth," said Erica. She briefly studied the schematics plan, and already found answers to some of her ongoing technological issues.

"The artifact was unearthed in Iraq by a covert US Army archaeological unit," said Thomas. "We don't know how the Sumerians achieved this kind of technology. We just know it exists in their time already."

"This is sensitive material," said Erica. "What kind of clearance are you giving us?"

"I'm authorized to share the schematics with you. But I can't tell you where the artifact is currently located. That means you cannot study the artifact in person."

"It's more than I need," she said.

With such an important gift, Erica ceased being cautious against her new partner. Erica and Thomas teamed up, drew ideas from the schematics, and soon reached a breakthrough.

Their first prototype was largely based on the Sumerian schematics, mixed with modern innovations. Instead of spinning faster, the ring relies on its internal electromagnetic coils to accelerate sub-atomic particles at an exponential rate, thereby generating the gravitational pull.

And with much anticipation, the prototype worked. It opened a corridor for 0.242 seconds.

They spent the next several years refining the design. Whenever they hit an obstacle, they would refer back to the Sumerian schematics. Meanwhile, astronomers around the world kept revising the black hole's estimated year of arrival.

Erica and Thomas made a fine team, and over time, Erica became drawn to Thomas. She liked that he was younger, liked his far-eastern complexion and gentle manners. Erica mentored him, cared for him, and eventually locked fingers with him. In his embrace, she felt her imperfections were loved and accepted.

Then came the hardship. At work, they started to quarrel more. Thomas wanted more responsibilities, and to be on equal footing with Erica. As the lead scientist of Buro-10, Erica could not agree to that. So Thomas became withdrawn. When their relationship finally broke down, Thomas took his Sumerian schematics and left.

No one knew where Thomas went. Rumor was he took his research back to the US. Without the schematics, Buro-10's research suffered, but most importantly, Erica lost a friend. She replayed many times their relationship in her head like a videotape, but could never muster at what point it went irreversibly wrong.

The black hole beat the estimate. When it arrived, it was fifteen years early. It passed through the Solar System and drew Earth into an elliptical path. Extreme climate swings ensued; Antarctica melted and Australia drowned in successive waves of tsunami. Humanity became desperate, yet none of the Savior Projects were ready.