Chapter 3: The Glitch

Author's note: The "Security Breach" hype is real! Just putting that out there.

"It was right over there. I fell and it came over to me." Charlie stammered, "It was a black bear with a red top hat. It played music."

Michael looked at her skeptically.

"Look, it's hard to explain, but I think my dad designed it to supplement the puppet somehow. The music it played was the same."

"I believe you, but without seeing it... I have no idea what it could be." Michael bit his lower lip.

"We have to find it. I don't know what it's supposed to do, but your dad cannot get his hands on it. It could be vital to the plan."

"Okay, okay. It couldn't have gotten far. I don't think animatronics can walk on snow and ice." Michael's voice was calm but he looked uncertain.

Charlie nodded.

"You watch the robots up front. I'm going to see if it's outside."

"Be careful!" He called after her. The snow was falling down in droves once again, and Charlie squinted as she carefully stepped onto the slippery pavement of the alley. The bear was nowhere in sight. She sighed in defeat and walked back inside, hugging herself. Nedd Bear, Orville, and Pigpatch were back onstage when she entered the dining room, and Michael was watching Happy Frog meander about.

"Any luck?"

"No. It could be anywhere by now. Who knows when it left?" Charlie sat down and buried her face in her hands.

"I still don't think it could've gotten far. It's snowing, right? The water will fry its circuits." Michael said matter of factly.

"Right." She muttered. "With my luck it's probably sitting in the middle of the street." Silence settled over them, save for the whirring and clicking of Happy Frog's joints.

"...Charlotte?" Michael whispered suddenly, gently nudging her in the ribs. She looked up to see him staring at Mr. Hippo's Stage. Happy Frog had stopped directly in front of it, her head tilted to one side.

"She's stuck." Charlie groaned, "Hold on." She stood up and strolled over to the animatronic, who was completely still. However, when Charlie moved to flip the roaming switch, Happy Frog turned her head abruptly and nearly trapped her finger.

"You and I don't get to talk as often as I'd like!" The frog exclaimed. Charlie jumped back.

"O-okay, she's glitching."

"Is there a way to turn her off?" Michael came up beside her.

"Yeah, but I need a screwdriver. Keep an eye on her, I'll be back."

"What? No! You can't leave me alone!"

"She's not dangerous."

"How do you know my father hasn't tampered with them?"

"How could he? This place was closed for weeks and the security system was activated. Unless my dad gave someone else a key, nobody was in here."

"Fine, but I'm standing over here." Michael took several big steps away from Happy Frog. Charlotte rolled her eyes and walked to the backroom, where her father's toolbox was still open. She quickly found the screwdriver she was looking for and hurried back to the dining room, where Michael was still eyeing Happy Frog warily. Her head was frozen in place but her eyes followed Charlie's every move.

"Okay... first we have to get her back on the stage." Charlie muttered. She reached for the roaming switch once again but Happy Frog swung her head to the other side and then back again.