Chapter 2

Authors Note: Agent Red won second place for the Rewind the Classics contest! Thank you so much everybody for reading!
~~~~~
Rori may have lowered her gun slightly, but by no means did she lower her guard. If anything, she was more observant. It was strange, yet notable that his voice did not quiver, and he did not display any signs of a liar.

"Nexus would never commit such a horrid crime, their goal is nothing but to develop agents and soldiers for the protection of the people." Rori replied, firm with her stance.

"You have access to their database don't you?" The wolf challenged, "Why don't you just look it up yourself?"

"Because I have no time to waste, I'm ordered to bring you in."

Rori was curious to what she would find if she dug deeper. Of course, she had no doubts about Nexus or the APF. In a way, they were the only family she had. For as long as she could remember, she had been training, and working hard to get to where she was.

She was just confused as to how deranged the wolf's thoughts were, and wondered if he was delusional, or if such things really did occur.

Which they couldn't have.

"Look, I don't want to get into an argument with you." The wolf admitted., "But, like I said before, I'm not going to let you take me back there."

"I know how they brainwash you folk, luckily the memory deletion hell they do to you guys doesn't  work on me." He added.

"You better have proof before you throw accusations like that around." Rori rolled her eyes.

"I am the proof." The wolf stated. "Okay, how about this. Give me a few days to convince you, if you don't believe me, then you can take me in."

Rori grabbed his shirt by the collar and glared at him. Her veins were boiling with anger. "You're not giving me any demands, I'm a respectable agent, and I will not be bribed by the likes of a criminal."

He placed his hand on her shoulder, and moved closer to her, his blue eyes were peering into hers. "It wasn't a bribe, it was a request. I will cooperate and you could handcuff me if you want, but please...if you're going to take me in, at least try to hear me out. This whole wolf thing isn't what you think it is."

Rori narrowed her eyes, "Fine."

"Really?" The wolf's eyes flickered with surprise.

She frowned, crossing her arms.

Perhaps if she tried to cooperate, she could extract information from him. It was evident that the Wolf wasn't lying about the deaths that took place at Nexus, but something didn't add up, and she was going to find out what.

Rori slapped on cybernetic handcuffs on his hands.

"If you try anything, I won't hesitate to take action." Rori warned him, her voice dangerously low.

He grunted when she shoved him forward, leading him outside the warehouse, she fought the urge to grab her gun, just in case. But in order to obtain information she needed to be cordial. She pulled up her hood once again, shivering as the frigid air caressed her skin. Flecks of color radiated in the sky above, with pale orange, yellow, and pink, rising across the surface. The darkness of the night had melted away, leaving behind not a single trace of its existence.

Rori approached her car, and watched as the car doors opened automatically, and as the Wolf sat on the passenger's seat. She took a seat next to him, and crossed her arms. Rori would be lying to herself if she thought she wasn't the slightest bit tense. The creature next to her had enough strength to end her, at any given moment, with nothing more than his bare hands. No training, or weapons could stop that.

However, it wasn't death that she feared.

It was failure.

The very thought brought shivers down her spine.

She took a deep breath. "Okay, Wolf...what is it you wanted to convince me about?"

"My friends...they used to call me Lycus, I don't remember what my real name was...or if I had one at all." Lycus admitted. "Back at the lab, they called me Alpha4."

"Interface, define." Rori commanded.

The car's interface lit up, and began to search. After a few seconds, a robotic voice began to speak. "Alpha is used to describe the top position of the hierarchy of wolves. Delta and Omega follow afterwards."

"So you're the leader?" Rori asked.

Lycus shook his head. "I'm the only one left. Everyone they wanted to recruit for alpha died during the process. and all the others, didn't get to survive long enough to be considered."

Rori was silent for a moment. "What is Project Wolf's intention?"

"The plan was for most of the wolves to act as super soldiers. However, they wanted some of us to act as hitmen. They wanted us to take out risky criminals, whistleblowers, but mostly political targets. The wolves were to be tools of stealth, with the ability to kill without remorse, and vanish without a trace."

"That doesn't make sense. Nexus claimed that this project would be more military use only, on the official file." Rori thought aloud.

"That's what you wish, but they're liars." Lycus commented. "All they care about is putting up an image, but it's nothing but a facade. I know a place that could help convince you, but it's a few days away from here."

"Punch in the address." Rori replied blankly.

"You trust me?" He asked her.

"Not a chance, I wouldn't be surprised if you're luring me into a trap. But even so, I'm trained to handle the situation."

Lycus sighed, and added the address into Rori's GPS. The car began to drive and Rori's mind flooded with thoughts. Truly she didn't know what to believe. She hoped that Lycus was lying, and that Nexus and the Government was truly working towards the right path.

Otherwise...

Everything she had been working for, was a lie.