Chapter 14 ❄️ Alex

Alex's head snapped away from his computer as he noticed Tristan packing up his belongings.

"Somewhere you have to be?" Alex asked his younger brother.

They had both chosen to work at the dining table after breakfast rather than the study. There were papers strewn about and Alex had just received the first blueprints for the new construction of the chalet. He was going to ask for Tristan's opinion.

He listened to Tristan's short conversation on the phone, where he had agreed to bring Peter with him to the chalet. He wondered what Hugh might need, but he wouldn't refuse to send them help. He was determined to make the transition as comfortable as possible for the older man. 

"Unfortunately, yes." Tristan said. "I have a friend in need of some help."

"You have friends?" Alex asked, feigning shock. Tristan gave him a sideways glance but he was still smiling.

"Do you mind if I take Peter along? We'll need the car." Tristan asked.

"Whatever you need," Alex replied. "I'll be here for the rest of the day. I just received the preliminary drawings of the chalet's reconstruction. I'll be busy going over them."

"Will the architect be visiting?" Tristan asked. "I feel like she would benefit from seeing the place."

He stopped packing for a moment to glance at Alex.

"I know," Alex sighed. "She's been busy back in Seattle and I wanted to give her a chance to enjoy the holidays with her family. She should be here shortly after the new year."

Tristan nodded but Alex felt that he had more to say. He took incentive instead.

"If you ever want to add anything," Alex started. "I want you to feel comfortable talking it out with me. I want to be open to your opinion and it's good to have a second eye on things out here."

"Thanks," Tristan said and nodded again. "I'll keep that in mind."

Alex observed him briefly. He still had something to say but he would come around in his own time. He would allow him the space to be comfortable first and try to refrain from asking any questions. Luckily, for him, Tristan hesitated for a moment but offered answers on his own.

"Soph asked for my help down at the chalet," Tristan said, and Alex's head turned up quickly. "She's hoping to get some more decorations for the chalet this year and asked to borrow the car."

Alex blinked, surprised. 

He didn't realize his brother was becoming friends with Sophia. He felt a little jealous but shook away the feeling. If Sophia felt comfortable around at least one of the brothers, she might be more forthcoming. He'd recognized that she was feeling different about the sale of the chalet and he was wondering if she might think about changing her mind.

"I'm sure she just wants to make the last year special," Tristan offered. His brother had an uncanny ability to read his thoughts.

"No problem," Alex said, closing his laptop and standing up to refill his coffee cup as Peter entered the kitchen. "If we can offer any help to the Reymonts during this time, I'm glad. I'm just hoping to make the transition as easy as possible. If Hugh asks for anything, you help him in any way that you can."

"Sure thing," Tristan replied.

"Will you need anything before we get going?" Peter asked, throwing on his jacket as Tristan left the room.

"I'll be just fine," Alex assured him.

With both men gone, the house felt lonely but Alex continued, reminding himself how much he'd been looking forward to working in solitude. He had work to do, as did they. He could always catch up with them later. His resolve lasted about an hour before he decided he needed coffee.