The Nikkah pt1

After saba left, Murtasim found himself in a whirlwind of emotions, a mix of numbness and overwhelming feelings crashing upon him. His mind was a battlefield of thoughts, each vying for his attention. Relief washed over him as he learned that Meerab hadn't eloped with Rohail and hadn't betrayed him. Yet, guilt plagued his mind for giving up on his search for her. But amidst all these sentiments, a sudden realization churned up his stomach with disgust.

If Meerab hadn't fled with Rohail, it could only mean one thing – she had left because she witnessed Haya hugging him that night. Regret surged within him like a tidal wave. The decision to willingly marry Haya now felt like a grave sin. Murtasim was lost, trapped in a maze of uncertainty. The option of resuming his search for Meerab lingered, yet it couldn't erase the bitter reality of his marriage to Haya, that he had agreed to willingly, was set to take place within a week.

The weight of the truth was crushing. Murtasim thought about Meerab's reaction upon knowing that he had been about to marry the very same woman he'd always considered a sister, the same woman who had openly declared her feelings for him despite him being married, the woman responsible for the ruin of his wedded life. Self-disgust engulfed him as he faced the fact that he was about to fulfill all the suspicions Meerab had about him and Haya.

The air grew dense, thickened by the suffocating grip of his emotions. His mind was a maze of unanswerable questions, each question a weight that pulled him deeper into turmoil. How could he ever face Meerab now, even if he managed to find her? How could he justify his agreement of marrying Haya with his own will? Would Meerab even consider staying with him after learning the truth? These troublesome thoughts devoured him, threatening to rupture his mind. Helplessly, he let out a sigh, acknowledging that he himself was responsible for his own downfall. The burden of defeat proved overwhelming, shattering his ego, pride, and confidence that he had previously borne with strength, now seeping away. His heart grew heavy, and in search of solace, he knew that there was only one place capable of providing it.

————————————————————
One week later

Euphoric was an understatement to describe Haya's feelings today. The moment she had waited for her entire life has finally arrived. She was to become Murtasim's wife, the "khaani" of the gaddhi, the owner of the house. She had dreamt of this moment ever since she saw Maa Begum wear that family heirloom ring. The alluring power, authority and privileges that the ring carried with itself made her yearn for it, which is why she molded herself into the ideal future wife for Khan Murtasim Khan.

However, her lifelong dream shattered when she got to know that the cherished position and Murtasim, whom she "loved" so dearly, was being given away to Meerab, who was obviously misfit. Her desires and want turned into maddening obsession as a burning desire to reclaim Murtasim ignited in her. After relentless determination and tries, she was able to finally kick Meerab out of Murtasim's life. And with Meerab's departure, Haya's need to win Murtasim grew.

She did not miss a single chance to remind
Murtasim of his wife's betrayal, stoking his rage towards Rohail, the lover who had stolen Meerab away. Haya seized this opportunity to sow seeds of hatred for Meerab within Murtasim. Over two years, she tirelessly worked to make him forget Meerab in a hope that he would get drawn towards her, however, she failed because Murtasim's ego towards his "izzat" and "gairat" had been replaced with his undying "ishq" for his wife. Haya thought that it was now almost impossible for Murtasim to ever get over Meerab. But, just as her optimism was fading, Murtasim miraculously agreed to marry her. The waves of happiness and triumph flooded her, the thought of defeating Meerab bought tears of joy to her eyes.

Yet, Saba's sudden arrival caused fear to grip Haya. When Saba told Murtasim that Meerab had not betrayed him and that she was not with Rohail, Haya panicked. She dreaded that Murtasim's heart might falter, and he would call off the wedding. But to her immense relief, the day of the nikkah has finally arrived without any hesitance from Murtasim's side. There she sat, waiting for Murtasim, a bride adorned in her finest attire, wearing the family ring, a symbol of her victory over Murtasim's heart and the impending power she had always dreamt of.