chapter 1

i lay on my back with my eyes closed, but not asleep, i'm trying to picture myself in a better life. one where i don't have to work all day at only 15 years old, one where my parents looked after me and my brother. we live in a tall house overlooking the famous New York streets. we have a small dog named Pop. i own a closet full of long, beautiful dresses, and my hair was always immaculate. i go to school and have loads of friends, and i'm training to be a doctor. I have maids who wait on me hand and foot. i don't have to worry about how i'm going to eat every night, i know that there's going to be a chef prepared meal on the table once we got home from school. we'd spend days as a family, going to the zoo or attend balls or go to the theatre, i'd be able to actually pay to watch Medda.
i'd have a future, a guarantee that i'm going to have a good job and not having to worry about whether i'd see my next birthday, my next christmas, jack's next birthday.
but of course that wasn't reality. i opened my eyes and sat up, taking in a deep breath as i noticed light start to peak over the houses and factories that filled Manhattan. the sky became a beautiful mix of pinks, oranges and yellows. i smiled at the simple pleasure of watching the sunrise, not many people got to experience it because it happened before the world woke up, but it was almost like a routine for me to see it, i was rarely asleep at this time. but as much as that extra few hours of sleep would make my job a lot more sufferable and i would rather be nicely tucked up with Jack, the experience i witnessed every morning was something no amount of money could replicate.

"Boots, Skittery, skittery, wake up and sell the papes." I can hear Mr Kloppman waking up the boys "c'mon cowboy ger up, where's ya sister" my eyes widen then hear Jack grunt making me realise he's too tired to register what was just said.
I climbed down from the roof and went straight to the bathroom, I slapped Race's cap over his eyes and grabbed my hairbrush. Jack walked in a few minutes later talking to Crutchy

"there's so many fake crips on the streets today, a real crip ain't got a chance" I hear Crutchy say, I walk over to him and put my hand on his shoulder

"maybe you just need to find a new selling spot where they ain't used to seein ya" I say trying to reassure him.

Mush:
"Try bottle alley or the harbour"

Race:
"Try Central Park it's guaranteed"

Jack:
"Try any baker, bum or barber"

Skittery
"They almost all know how to read"

Blink:
"I smell money"

Crutchy:
"You smell foul"

Mush:
"Met this goil last night"

Crutchy:
"Move your elbow"

Race:
"Pass the towel"

Cameron:
"For a buck I might"

Newsies:
"Ain't it a fine life, carryin the banner through it all"

Not doing the whole song just imagine it.

After we're all ready to leave, still singing, Jack stops me before we walk out.

"Where were you this morning Caz?" He asked, my name was Cameron but the boys all either called me Caz or Tiger, you'll understand why later, my heart dropped

"On the roof, I woke up early" I couldn't tell Jack about my nightmares, he'd only worry, the only person who knew was Crutchy, he shared a bunk with me and Jack and heard me wake up panting a few times. Surprisingly it never woke up Jack who slept in the same bed, he was a very deep sleeper. Most of the time my dreams were from my time in the refuge but every once in a while I had one from before then, they were the worst.

Jack still looked sceptical but he dropped it and we went out to 'Carry the banner'