Chapter 3

- Reader's P.O.V -

The trip back to my village felt harder than the way there. Exhaustion consumed me, making it harder to push forward. Without the adrenaline, it sure is hard to keep going. The crow that was assigned to me flew high above me. Most of my time so far was spent thinking of a name. Eventually, I settled on Ankoku.

I debated stopping at the nearest village to stay the night, but I knew my parents would give me hell for it. I don't blame them though, if I were a day or two late, it's normal to assume I didn't make it. So I just have to suck it up and pray my body won't give up on me.

-

After a long distance, the familiar archway entrance to my village came into view. Relieved, I sighed and started walking faster, almost running. It felt like an eternity before I made it. I smiled at the familiarity of the village. A couple passerby's waved at me and congratulated me for passing the final exam. I thanked them and moved on. Finally, I reached the front gate to to home. Opening the gate, I saw that my mother was standing outside waiting for me. Ss soon as she saw me the tan over to me and gave me a hug.

"I knew you would make it!" She pulled back and brushed a piece of my hair to the side. "You look exhausted. Come inside so you can rest."

We walked through the front door and sat in the living room. My dad was already waiting for me. He didn't say anything, which wasn't unlike him, and gave me a look of approval.

My mother placed a plate on the table in front of me. "Here, you need to eat." She ushered me to start.

"Congratulations, [Y/N]. We knew you could do it." Father finally said.

I smiled at him. "Thanks, it was a little tough but nothing I couldn't handle."

"Do you know when you're getting your sword?" He questioned.

"I think in ten to fifteen days." I answered.

Mother spoke up and sat right next to me. "So, tell us everything!"

I started my story and told her about the important stuff. I told her about Tanjiro, the demons, and all of the participants, especially the mohawk boy.

By the time I finished explaining everything, it was late at night. I stood up and excused myself, telling them goodnight. As soon as I got to my room I threw myself onto the bed. Exhausted, I fell asleep in no time.

-

About two weeks later, my mother knocked on my door. "There's a man outside with your sword. I offered to let him inside, but he wouldn't listen to me."

I shot up out of bed and raced to the front door. Outside, there was a man with a large hat with wind chimes on it. "Hello, sir, I'm [Y/N] [L/-" He cut me off before I could finish.

"I am Haganezuka." He took off his bag and opened it. "This is a Nichirin Sword. And I forged it."

"Oh, thank you. Would you like to come inside, Mr. Hagane-" Once again, he cut me off and continued talking.

"The materials for a Nichirin Sword can be obtained from the mountain closets to the sun. Scarlet Crimson Iron sand and Scarlet Crimson Ore." He explained. I gave up on inviting him inside and just chose to listen. "These produce steel that can absorb sunlight. Mt. Yoko is bathed in sunlight all day long, you see."

"Ah, that's very interesting." I said, trying to sound at least somewhat interested.

He pushed the sword wrapped in cloth towards me. "You're apart of the [L/N] family? I expect to see a white sword, which represents your breath type, frost breathing." That sounded like a threat, and honestly I'm scared to get anything but white.

I pulled the sword out of the sheathe and it started changing almost immediately. I watched in amazement as it started at the base of the sword as a periwinkle blue, fading into white at the top. I looked over that Haganezuka with wide eyes.

He stared at me for a couple seconds. And finally... "I SAID WHITE!" He yelled, and started screaming nonsense.

"There is white on here are you blind?" I yelled, defensively.

"WHITE! ONLY WHITE! NOT WHITE AND BLUE!" He launched himself at me, grabbing at the sword.

"Get off me, old man!" I fought for the sword back and finally he broke away from me. He was wearing a mask, but I still felt his glare in my soul.

"You better not break that sword, you hear me!" He said, looking like he was about to attack me again.

"Yea, yea, wasn't planning on it." I mumbled while putting the sword back in its sheathe.

Just then, my crow flew in between us. "[Y/N] [L/N]! There has been many missing young girls reported! Head southwest!" It informed.

I stood up and brushed myself off. "Well, I guess this is where I leave. Thank you for the sword, Mr. Haganezuka!" I bowed respectfully.

He nodded and left. What a weird guy. I turned around and went inside, showing my parents the sword and telling them I have to go out on my first mission.

I got all of my things together and bid farewell to my family. With a determined look, I headed southwest.

-

Word count: 900