Chapter 5

- Reader's P.O.V -

"Where are those girls you kidnapped?" Tanjiro screamed at the demon, holding the girl in his arms.

The demon had purple hair and bright red eyes. He was sitting halfway out of a hole in the ground. After a moment of the demon deciding what to say, his answer to Tanjiro was grinding his teeth, making a loud screeching noise. I grimaced and covered my ears. I'm guessing Tanjiro didn't take the hint, because he continued to try and talk to him. "I've got two more questions for you." Still, the demon's only answer was grinding its teeth. After a second of that, he retreated back into his hole, which closed up.

I looked back towards Katsumi. "Tanjiro, give Mr. Katsumi the girl so your hands aren't full." Tanjiro complied and handed the girl off to Katsumi. "Stay near us so we can protect you." Tanjiro said and got into a fighting stance.

Tanjiro and I, back to back, cautiously looked around, waiting for the demon to appear. Three holes emerged around us. I gasped and took a small step back. Three demons came out of the holes and tried to grab at us. Tanjiro and I quickly jumped up. Whist jumping, I slashed my sword outwards, cutting the arms off of the demon in front of me. Tanjiro cut the rest off with a form of water breathing. We both missed the demon's vulnerable spots, but it affectively slowed them down. Within seconds, the demons disappeared into their hole once more, probably to regenerate.

"Why were there three? Demons never join together." I questioned as we both jumped back to guard Katsumi and the girl. "I think it's one demon. It just split itself into three." He answered.

Behind us, one of the three demons tried to attack. Tanjiro slashed at it, but it was too shallow again. "Tanjiro, I'm no expert but I think you're supposed to cut its head off."

"I know that. I keep cutting too shallow." He said, frustrated. The water hole moved a good distance away from us. Tanjiro stopped half way, trying not to go too far away from Katsumi. "Tanjiro, you chase it. I'll stay back here with them. Tanjiro nodded at me started to run towards the demon. But before he got too close the demon started screaming. This one could actually talk.

"You bastard! That girl's gonna go stale on me, dammit! She's already sixteen, and if I don't devour her soon, she's gonna lose flavor by the second!" He looked over at me and grinned. "Since you want that other girl so bad, I'll just take her!" I narrowed my eyes and held my sword tighter. Another demon came up behind us. I quickly turned to the side, not wanting my back to it.

"Calm down, my other self." It spoke. "There's gonna be nights like this. We just have to make due with what we have sometimes. I'm still satisfied."

"Well, I'm not satisfied!" The other one screaming, throwing a tantrum. They were monsters. Talking about eating humans as if they were discussing something meaningless. They're disgusting.

"Return Sayoko to me, the one you abducted the night before last!" Katsumi demanded.

"Satoko?" The demon questioned. He opened up his coat, showing us what was inside. My eyes widened in horror. Inside were hairpins, each belonging to one of the girls he's eaten. All of the demons disappeared. Katsumi yelled out, but the demon just laughed at him.

One of them reappeared beside me, launching itself at me. I swiftly sidestepped and swung my sword, cutting off its arm. "I missed again." I huffed. He escaped underground. Looked up at Tanjiro, the demon was at the wall beside him. "Tanjiro! The wall!" I warned. He turned around just as the demon attacked him, dodging his blows.