Questions and Answers

London 2011

December brought an air of excitement and the festive joy that came with twinkling lights and Christmas songs playing on every radio station. When we were younger, this time of year was always bittersweet; I did what I could to make it special and exciting, but there was no escaping the fact that we didn't have Christmases the way our friends did.

As adults, people were always surprised by how laidback Rowan, Éna and I were about Christmas. We'd exchange gifts, sit around and have a drink together, but ultimately, December was just another month for us.

The first episode of Sherlock season 2 was scheduled for New Year's Day. Which turned December into a month of interviews and public appearances. I had parts in two new films; one in the US and one in the UK. Which meant that I was always tired, stressed and distracted as I journeyed back and forth every other week.

I was in London with the cast of Sherlock, about to walk out on stage for a live Q&A, guzzling down an energy drink as if it were the elixir of life. I hadn't done a Q&A before, unsure of what to expect as we stood listening to the audience chattering excitedly. We were talking amongst ourselves, quieting down when we heard the host begin to introduce us one by one.

Martin was away filming The Hobbit in New Zealand, leaving Steve, Mark, Ben, me and Lara. She had played Irene Adler in the first episode, a character so many were excited to see brought to life onscreen.

The host started with Steve. We watched him step out to the sound of cheers and applause, waving as he took the first seat at the end of the row. Next was Mark, then Lara, then me. I stepped out and waved, willing myself not to fall over or miss my chair as I sat down.

When the host announced Ben, I had to stop myself from covering my ears; the screaming was so loud and intense, making the rest of us share a glance and a laugh. He took the middle seat between myself and Mark, picking up his microphone and saying hello to the audience, inducing another fanatic scream.

The host began asking questions; what could they expect from season 2, how was filming, did we enjoy ourselves. I sat back enjoying the conversation, making funny quips and adding things here and there. We made a bet backstage about how long it would be before we were asked about the kiss. I turned to Ben and smirked, knowing I'd just won the bet as the host began to speak again.

'So one of the most talked-about moments from season 1 was that kiss,' she said. 'Were you expecting it to garner so much attention and conversation?'

'Well,' Mark began. 'I think it was a risky thing to do, especially with a character like Sherlock Holmes.'

'Yeah,' Steve added. 'It was always going to create a stir, we were fully aware of that when we wrote it. But I think that's the point, isn't it? We really wanted to solidify our version of Margaux and show where we stood with her character.'

'And what was it like for the two of you; Benedict and Adrian, to do that scene?'

Ben raised the microphone to his lips. 'It was wonderful.' He stopped and looked at me. 'That sounded really creepy.'

The audience laughed.

'I mean it was good,' he continued.

'Still creepy,' I added, getting another laugh.

He chuckled. 'I was very nervous. I don't tend to get nervous when it comes to screen kisses and what have you. But with a character like Sherlock Holmes, you want to get it right, you know?' He leaned back in his chair, speaking casually. 'Plus, Adrian is obviously incredibly beautiful, so I found the whole thing terribly intimidating.'