Trials of the Toys (Part 1)

A/N: Hey guys & gals, give a hand clap to CinderHollow13 from Deviant Art. If any of you have an account or are going to the app, check her out. She makes the best art I have ever seen. And huge thanks to all of you for supporting me in making this story. Blessed be

December 24th

The winds blew harder. The sky twisted into a dark night. Frost almost completely covers every window seal. On top of a random rooftop near the Engel's home, Krampus glared at the humans inside, growling viciously for their terms of keeping his mate away from him. His cloud of rage caused the storm to worsen, provoking a defensive instinct that he never had in centuries.

The only thing that snapped him out of his mind was a small sneeze that was near him. He turned his attention to his feet, where little Gingy was shaking and sneezed again. Krampus mentally cursed himself for his behavior. He sighed. "Sorry." Taking his small follower in his bony hand, placing him in his blood-red coat for warmth.

Gingy gladly snuggles in the soft cloak in satisfaction for the opportunity and successfully calmed his master's mood. But not his storm. "I wanted to see how the plan is going." Gingy peeped his face out to get eye contact with the spirit. Krampus smirked at his creation, feeling a little mischief. " Oh, and why is that? IMPRESSING SOMEONE?!" He grinned as the little gingerbread leaped into his hand. Shaking his little hands in denial. "NO! NO! I WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING!" Gingy laughed nervously, mentally sweating. Krampus chuckled deeply at his expression. "I'm glad you approve, Ginger. An extraordinary amount of compassion for someone so young." Gingy gasped at his master's comment. 'This is new.' Gingy can't help the flushing colored on his cheeks.

In the living room, Linda started gathering up the surviving presents that were slightly or not burned at all into the red sack. Still mourning for the loss of her son, she couldn't believe that one of her children was taken by some dark spirit or whatever. The kids asked 'What if' questions to their grandmother to hopefully make their situation better.

Linda took the large sack and headed her way to the attic to be alone, but was stopped by a hand that took her shoulder. She looked over to find her niece, Eira. "Let me help you." The latter whispered, took a small rectangular present with black spots on it. "It's okay baby, I can handle it." She gingerly tugged the present from the girl's hands. But she won't let go. "Trust me, I know a few things like gift wrapping and large in numbers is the best option." Eira comforted her aunt, begging her to come along.

After a few seconds of thinking, she eventually gave in.

Together, they climbed up the attic and sat down on the old yet firm, wooden floor. Tearing the burned wrapping paper off the gifts and replacing it with new. The small gift that Eira had was a little vintage toy box with a cute picture of a drummer boy on its side. The girl wrapped red, glittering, parchment paper around it and placed a red gift bow on the top along with some curly ribbon. Linda chuckled at how her niece wrapped presents swiftly and easily. The teen was on her eighth present while she was on her third.

Linda picked up a package to try to catch up but paused when she saw the name of her son on it. Her heart was devastated in grief, at the brink of tearing up. She looked up when sniffling and sobs hit her ears.

Eira erupted into tears when she selected a torn package that was from her sister. The gift was a photograph of her and Beth wearing ugly Christmas sweaters and hugging each other in front of their school without a care to their schoolmates' mocking. Smiling and cheerful. In a rainbow-colored painted picture frame. Eira whimpered and was astonished that Beth did so much work and detailed into her gift and that she wasn't here to show it.

Linda placed both Howie's and Beth's gifts away and embraced the weeping girl. 'Oh, please don't cry.' A female voice begged. 'Real Cherub, shut up.' A gruff Russian snapped 'YOU SHUT UP!' 'Guys no fighting, please. She could hear us!' Another male pleads nervously. Eira's stopped crying and broke the hugging when there were voices whispered in her head. "What is it?" Linda lifted a brow. Eira looked around the room to find the source of the noise. But there was none. "I don't know, probably just my imagination." Eira shrugged, taking a big box-like present.

Before they could continue with their work, a different sound came to their ears from Eira's hands. A music box. Eira lifted the present to her ear while Linda put her's on the other side.

Both hear the music play quietly.

'OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! WHO'S HOLDING ME? WHO'S HOLDING ME?!' a voice panicked from inside the box. Eira removed her ear from the package, taking a good stare at it.

Linda took the box and shook it a little. 'Oooooooohhhhhh WHAT'S HAPPENING?!' The two women looked at each other, their hearts beating rapidly as Linda unties the ribbon.

"Linda." A familiar voice caused the women to turn to Sarah who stood in front of them. "Can we talk with you and Howard for a minute?" "Can it wait? We just wanna get these rewrapped- for the kids." Linda frowned, not in the mood for talking. "It's probably important." Eira inferred, rubbing her aunt's shoulder. Sarah nodded in agreement. Linda sighed before getting up and followed her sister and niece.

A while after the women left the attic, all of the presents that were previously in the red sack shook to life. Clawing and tearing cardboard and wrapping paper revealed the four toy commanders, more enchanted gingerbread men, and a toy soldier with needle-like fangs. All ready to retrieve their Queen.