Chapter Two: Atmosphere

Academy of Espionage; Cafeteria

Washington, DC

June 28th

1300 hours

Ben's POV

I woke up from my wonderful nap. Despite being only an hour long, it refreshed me. Today was Monday, but me and my friends got our morning classes off because we, y'know, stopped the most evil organization in the world and ultimately saved the future of the universe. 

I jumped out of my bed, fixed my wonky looking hair, and headed down to the cafeteria. I saw Mike sitting next to Zoe, looking like they were having a very lovely conversation. Ever since Zoe admitted to having a crush on me, it was a bit awkward. I knew she might be a better choice than Erica, she's pretty, nice, energetic, and a good spy, but Erica is stunning, can be nice when she wants too, deadly, and an outstanding spy. I just don't know.

But it seems as if Zoe does. She's steadily getting closer to Mike, and I think she's done waiting around for me. That's fine, I guess. I walked up to the lunch lady, watched her slop some unknown food onto my tray, and then slid into a seat next to Mike. 

"Hey guys." I said, still a little dazed from my nap. Zoe smirked at me. "Finally joined us, did you? You just missed Self Preservation. Mike and I went because we had nothing better to do, but Professor Crandall wasn't too happy that you got the day off. " Mike snorted. I rolled my eyes. "We just saved the world, and Professor Crandall's mad I missed one Self Preservation class?" I whined.

"Anyways, Ice Queen is looking slightly less cold than usual", Zoe observed. I turned my head and looked at Erica. She was sitting at her own table, reading a book and eating a salad, but that's not what caught my eye. 

Erica Hale was smiling. Now, if you're new here, Ice Queen doesn't smile. Well, she's smiled to me a couple of times... slightly. But definitely not in public. No, she doesn't smile. "Do you think it's the new dorms? Should we go over there and ask her what's up?" I asked. Mike burst into laughter, attracting a few people to look over at us with curiosity. "No, you idiot! Do you want to die? She'll rip off your head and play bowling with it, using your limbs at pins! That's stupid!" Mike exclaimed.

"Yeah", Zoe declared. "I wouldn't go over there unless SPYDER was breaking down the doors and we were about to die. Of course, she'd answer if your life was at stake." "What do you mean?" I questioned. Mike rolled his eyes, and him and Zoe exchanged glances. "Dude, the Ice Queen likes you," Mike said. I stared at him dully. The Ice Queen despised me. I liked her, but she definitely did not like me.

"The Ice Queen hates me! What are you talking about?" I was bewildered. Now it was Zoe's turn to laugh. "Ben, remember at Orion's house? When she wanted you to hold her hand?" Of course I remember it. It was the best day of my life. But it was all an act. "Zoe, she was temporarily blinded. She couldn't walk! She wouldn't hold my hand for nothing. I explained that to you back in London!" 

Mike rolled his eyes. Must be picking it up from Erica, I thought. "This is Erica Hale we're talking about. She can take out 50 enemy agents with just a sedation gun. She can fight 10 sharks underwater, while holding her breath, in under a minute. Do you honestly think she NEEDED to hold your hand? She could put on her parachute blinded. I'm sure she could walk."

I considered this. Everything he said was true. Had Erica Hale simply WANTED to hold my hand? I shook my head. It wasn't humanly possible. The Ice Queen has built up a wall of ice. There's no way she held my hand unless she wanted too. Unless.. we were thawing her out? 

The bell rang. I sighed. I turned around and looked back towards Erica. By now, her smile had vanished. Her salad was gone, and her book in her bag. She seemed to be ready to leave, yet when I looked towards her face, our eyes met. For a split second, something in her ice blue eyes changed. They softened, or something like that. But then she turned her head away, stood up, and vanished into the crowd of students trying to exit the cafeteria.

This was still a short chapter, sorry about that! There will definitely be more action coming in the next few chapters. How'd I do? Please let me know if you liked this chapter, and I'll see you soon!