ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx

❆ ❆ ❆

Ser Alliser's onyx eyes were fixed on the two bastard boys. "It would seem our Lord Snow is in love." He said as Jon helped the fat boy to his feet. Torsten silently watched from beside Grenn and Pypar. "Show me your steel, Lord Snow." Jon drew his longsword. He dared defy ser Alliser only to a point, and he feared he was well beyond it now. Thorne smiled.

"The Bastard wishes to defend his lady love? Alright, Lord Snow. Let's make it an exercise. You two." Grenn and Pypar left Torsten to join Halder. "Three of you 'ought to be sufficient to make Lady Piggy squeal." Crossing his arms tightly over his chest, Alliser's eyes only became more hollow and dead looking. "All you gotta' do is get past 'em Bastard."

"Stay behind me." Jon said to the fat boy. Suddenly Torsten was beside him.

"Three to two will make for a better sport." Torsten said. He knew he would likely go to sleep bruised and bloody tonight, but at least he'd take some of the pain for Jon. He braced himself for the assault.
The yard had grown deathly quiet. Torsten could feel Ser Alliser's eyes.

"You sure you want to do this?" Jon asked Grenn who looked doubtful.

"No." Grenn simply put it, squinting against the sun. It was Jon who moved first, Halder barely got his sword up in time.
Torsten drove backward, attacking with every blow, keeping the older boy on the heels. He had it easy with Grenn. He was thankful Jon was skilled enough to know Halder's weaknesses.
The clang of steel echoed through the yard as the others joined battle around them. Jon blocked savage cuts at his head, while Torsten dodged Grenn's blows. Torsten slammed a sidestroke into Grenn's ribs, and was rewarded with a cry of pain. The counterstroke caught Torsten on the shoulder and pain flared up his neck. Grenn was standing his ground as Jon had taught him.
Jon had already delivered Pypar onto his back, and by then he'd already moved on back to Halder. As soon as Halder became unbalanced, Jon cut his left leg from under him, and he fell with a curse and a crash.
Now both bastard boys stood facing Grenn. Grenn backed away with his sword pointed to the ground and one hand cradling his ribcage.

"I yield." Grenn said breathlessly. Ser Alliser Thorne served the scene with disgust.

"We're done for today." The session was at an end. "Go clean the armoury, that's all you're good for." He walked away. Dareon helped Halder to his feet. The brute boy threw his sword to the ground with a loud sigh.

"For an instant, I thought I finally had you, Snow." He said.

"For an instant, you did." Jon replied.
Under all his leather Torsten's shoulder was throbbing.

"Well fought." Pypar taunted Grenn with a cheeky smile.

"Piss off." Grenn snapped back. "He might be little, but he hits hard." Grenn whined rubbing at his throbbing ribcage.

"Did he hurt you?" The soft voice of Samwell Tarly, thick fingered hands fell on Torsten's shoulder. The young boy pulled in an intake of sharp air. "I've been bruised before." Samwell continued making Torsten wince.
The yard was empty around them as the last boy left the courtyard. "My name is Samwell Tarly, of Horn..." He stopped and licked his lips. "I mean I was of Horn Hill, until I left. My father is Lord Randy the second, a bannerman to the Tyrell's of Highgarden. I used to be his heir" Samwell's words began to rail off.

"Torsten Snow, Bastard of the Wall." Torsten curtly introduced himself.

"You can call me Sam." Samwell smiled. "I mean if you want, my mother calls me Sam."

"You can call him Lord Snow." Pypar said as he came up to join them, his arm lingered on Jon's shoulder as he spoke. "You don't want to know what his mother calls him."

"I'm Jon Snow, Ned Stark's Bastard, of Winterfell." Jon sighed and Samwell nodded. "These two are Grenn and Pypar." Jon said.

"Grenn's the ugly one." Pypar said and Grenn scowled.

"You're uglier than me." Grenn insisted. "At least I don't have ears like a bat."

"I wanted to thank you." Samwell interrupted.

"It's not going to get any easier, ya' know? You're gonna have to defend yourself." Jon said and Samwell nodded.

"Why didn't ye' get up 'nd fight?" Grenn asked, saliva dripping from his lips. Fog puffed from his mouth as he spoke.

"I wanted to, truly. I just... couldn't." Samwell looked at the ground, Torsten felt pity for the boy.

"Why not?" Grenn pushed, placing his hands on his wide hips.

"I'm a coward." Samwell put it simply and a snort came from Torsten's lips.

"Really?" Torsten asked sarcastically. "After that circus act, I'd say you're a true hero." Torsten taunted and Jon wacked him to shut him up.

"Yeah, alright. I'm sorry. My father always said so... that I was a coward." Samwell muttered to himself. Grenn looked thunderstruck. Even Pypar had no words to say to that, and Pypar had words for everything. What sort of man would proclaim himself a coward?

"If you haven't noticed, the Wall is no place for cowards." Torsten sighed.

"I'm sorry." The fat boy continued. His hand tugged at the tight leather wrapped around his neck. He walked heavily towards the armoury. When he was gone, Grenn frowned.

"He's a bloody coward!" He yelled. "People saw us talk to him. Now they'll think we're cowards too!" He bellowed.

"You're too stupid to be a coward." Pypar was always quick and witty. Grenn stopped suddenly, scowling when he saw Pypar's grin. The realisation of the boys words sinking in. Grenn's neck flashed a deep red.

"You're too stupid to be... uh..." Grenn stumbled over his words. Pypar laughed.

"Quick now, before summer's over!" Pypar taunted.
Torsten left them there arguing. He returned to the armoury, hung up his sword, and stripped off his battered armour.

❆ ❆ ❆