ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

❆ ❆ ❆

Torsten woke to the feeling of something wet pressing against the soft skin of his cheek, his eyes darted open and caught the red embers of Ghost's own. His eyes wondered towards Jon who sat smiling as he tied the laces of his boots. "He's starting to become fond of you, I've never seen him become familiar with someone other than myself before." Jon said and Torsten stood to pull his surcoat on.

"I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing." He spoke truthfully, he lifted his hand to let Ghost nuzzle his head onto his palm.
As the two left their cell and headed towards the armoury, Torsten was uncomfortably aware that people were watching Jon.
Ser Alliser Thorne was drilling his boys in the yard, but he broke off to stare at Jon. A faint half smile on his lips. "What in the seven hells is going on?" Torsten questioned and Jon had no answer.

"Why're they looking at me?" Jon asked. One armed Donal Noye stood in the door of the armoury when they arrived. The armorer had a chest like a keg of ale and a gut to match. His nose was flat and broad, and he always seemed in need of a shave. The left sleeve of his black wool tunic was fastened at the shoulder with a silver pin in the shape of a longsword.

"The Gods be with you, Snow." He said. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. "The Commander is waiting you in his chambers."
On their arrival the Old Bear tapped the letter with a finger.

"Your father and the King." He rumbled. "I won't lie to you, its grievous news. I never thought to see another King, not at my age, with Robert half my years and strong as a bull." He took a gulp of wine. "They say the King loved to hunt. The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that. My son loved that young wife of his. Vain woman. If not for her, he would never have thought to sell those poachers." Torsten could scarcely follow what he was saying.

"My Lord, I don't understand. What's happened to my father?" Jon asked.

"I told you to sit." Mormont grumbled.

"Sit." The raven screamed.

"And have drink, damn you. That's a command, Snow. And you Torsten." Jon sat, followed by Torsten and took a sip of wine. "Stay close to him boy, he'll need you for the days to come." Mormont told Torsten who hesitantly nodded at the Old Bear's words. "Lord Eddard has been imprisoned. He is charged with treason. It is said he plotted with Robert's brothers to deny the throne to Prince Joffery."

"No." Jon said at once. While Torsten nearly choked on his wine. "That couldn't be. My father would never betray the King!"

"Be that as it may." Said Mormont. "It is not for me to say. Nor for you." He informed. Jon did not remember standing or leaving the chamber, but he was thankful to have Torsten with him.

A north wind begun to blow by the time the sun went down. Jon and Torsten walked close together. Silence stung between them, the conversation they'd had with the Lord Commander still fresh. "They all know." Jon whispered. Torsten felt like a shield for the eyes that preyed on Jon. Heads turned as they walked, eyes politely averting.

"We asked the septon to light a candle for your father." Samwell said as they met the two bastard boys in the middle of the training yard.

"It's a lie, we all know it's a lie... even Grenn knows it's a lie." Pypar chimed and Grenn nodded.

"You're my brother now, so he's my father too." The fat boy said.

"If you want to go out to the weirwoods and pray to the old Gods, we'd all go with you, Jon." Torsten said softly. He couldn't even begin to imagine what the older was going through, so he'd instead try to comfort the boy.

❆ ❆ ❆