Chapter #4: Pronunciations

A lot of words in Sindarin are pronounced like they are written, but it gets a little complicated when you add accents and other strange things. The whole bloody thing can be a mess. 

Rule of thumb: when there is an accent over a vowel (ex. "é") or a double letter (ex. Mm), it means it is voiced just noticeably longer than it usually would {I hope that makes sense, it sounded decent in my brain, alright?}. The next guide for pronunciation is as follows: The first syllable in a two-syllable word is stressed (ex. "THE-led"), the penultimate syllable is stressed in a word with any other amount of syllables (ex. im-LA-dris) if a word has more than three syllables {which not a lot do, but there are some} you stress the penultimate and the one before the previous {So if you have a word with four syllables, you'd stress the first and the penultimate; and if you have a word with five syllables, you'd stress the second and the penultimate etc}. The only exception to this rule is names. 

The Sindarin most commonly spoken today is in the dialect used in the Third Age {When Lord of the Rings takes place} so some archaic sounds aren't used anymore. (ex. Π) This is the dialect spoken by the elves in the Lord of the Rings book series and the Peter Jackson films.