Chapter #6: Information on Phrases and Words

This chapter covers information on the subcategories of my personal arsenal from the last chapter (chapters?).

Basic words and Phrases

These are the phrases that you are most likely to use in your everyday life, and are easiest to memorise. A lot of them are in this category because they don't really fit anywhere else.

 )◆(

Greetings

Do I need to explain this? I will anyway. There is no definitive "hello" in Sindarin, so we use alternatives such as "Well met". There are simpler greetings, such as that one, or you have more complex ones, such as "Êl hílatha nan lû e-govaded vîn". The fancier phrases should be reserved for those higher in status, or strangers.

)◆(

Farewells

Just like "hello", there is no definitive "goodbye" in Sindarin. There are also no "fancy" farewells, just simple phrases, usually stating when you will return and things like that.

)◆(

Swears, Insults and Curses

As far as swear words go, there really are none. Elves are (mostly) regal creatures who would never dream of using a curse word, so there is no need for them in their language. This is difficult because I could make a sailor blush. And for insults, because there are no swear words, you have to get creative. My personal favourite is "Mítho orch" which means "Go kiss an orc" I love it, and use it literally all the time. It is, like "Glenn na Mordor" another way of saying "Go to hell" or "Fuck off". It's literal Sindarin gold! Another personal favourite of mine is "Lỳgion" which is "Son of snakes" The funny thing with this one, though, is that I have no idea if it's an insult or an expression. I just use it as both an insult and an exclamation, kind of like "son of a bitch"

)◆(

Compliments and Endearments

These prove to be very helpful if you, like me, don't want your crush to know that you have feelings for them... but still have to let them know somehow. My lord and My lady aren't necessarily compliments or endearments, but I didn't really know where else to classify them. So.. yeah.

)◆(

Quenya Phrases

These are just good to know, so if you come across someone who only speaks Quenya (which is very unlikely by the way) you can convey where you are from, what your name is, and the fact that you do not speak Quenya.