scared at the void

Mal had been fully functional within a month. She worked out twice as much as she used to, took the same amount of jobs but this time she didn't actively participate as the doctor was adamant that another time like that and she'd sure not survive it.

Kimi had been persistent on the matter of her work. She missed the thrill terribly much, but she loved her life with Kimi much, much more.

So she retired to an acceptable level, she went to more social outings and returned  to the position her father had been, the façade of the business.

It hadn't been long for one of her nieces to come knocking on the door requesting Mal to prepare her for the family business.

Mal had been ecstatic to finally have an apprentice. She was so happy that had pushed Kimi into the pool and dived in behind him, smoldering kisses all over his face.

It was great. She didn't remember a time where her life had been so peaceful. She both loved and abhorred it.

She loved her job and being reduced to the mastermind and not being able to participate made her angry. But Mal also loved her life. And she loved Kimi.

She trained her niece though, which was such a relief for the family business and for her as there was no pressure for having children.

Kassandra was a great addition to Mal's routine. She loved to train the young woman, and Kassandra was dedicated to Mal with an almost suspicious devotion.

But Kimi knew, even though Mal thought she'd be a terrible mother, that Mal would have been an amazing mother. Fierce. Loyal. True and loving.

He didn't care though, he loved her as she was. Deeply and passionately.

Mal planned the missions now and rarely ever took part, Kimi knew how restless it made her, but he also thanked all the gods he knew that she was no longer in imminent danger.

It was like a dream. And he was very afraid to wake up.

She still worked on weapons. But Dora did most of the dirty work. And Kimi was coming to terms with it.

And then it was time for his half of the year to keep the children.

Mal had vanished for a week. She slept beside him, but she woke up at five in the morning and came home too late to even speak to him.

By the tenth day that this continued he was sure she was scared.

He had rolled his eyes as he stared at her one day that she had forgotten to set her alarm at an ungodly hour.

He smirked. His Mal took at least fifteen bullets and was prepared to face death with a grin and an anectode, but she couldn't face two kids.

He kissed her forehead. She had faced cold blooded murderers, but she wasn't brave enough around his kids.

He knew she didn't want them to hate her, lest of all Kimi grew to hate her too.

He smiled as he brushed her hair away from her face. She opened her eyes softly and smiled, moaning she closed her eyes and turned into him.

Until she understood that it wasn't five am, but ten am and she sat up straight, and emitted the most painful groan Kimi had ever listened.

"I need to go to work." She said, shaking her head.

He grasped her hands pulling her back to bed. "Robin has been asking about you."

She made a grimace of pain. "Oh, fuck no!" She buried her face in his chest. "I've been trying to avoid questions all week. Not now."