Prologue

"Yuya. Get over here. Now."

The little girl was trembling as though it were in the middle of winter. She covered her head, but Yuuko recognized the look she had in her eyes. He remembered seeing them that day.

That's exactly why he wouldn't leave her. Even with everything she's done, he couldn't leave her.

"S—She's not going with you. I'm not going to let her go with you anymore."

"Yuya. Now."

"Talk to me, not her!"

He hurriedly brandished himself in front of the girl, arms spread wide open to cover as much of her shivering body as possible. She looked exactly like Toshi did the day he found him, right down to laying on the ground, and just like that day, he caught her eye as she looked up.

"It's okay— it's okay now...I'm going to protect you." Those words confused her.

Even though he's shaking....why did he smile?

The woman heaved a heavy sigh.

"If you don't move from there then I'm going to take you inside the house by force. And as for you, boy," she said removing the belt around her waist. "This isn't a fairytale. My son knows his place, and it isn't by you."

She folded the leather in two and held it on her shoulder.

"Last warning Yuya. Get inside the house."

"I said you are talking to me!"

A severe twitch pulled on the woman's eyebrow. Even Yuuko could tell she was much more than angry.

"I see no one's ever taught you manners. Fine. I'll be the first to do it." She said approaching the two. "You children are nothing but mistakes!"

"TOSHI!"

Faster than the woman could react, a dog with light brown fur and a curved tail jumped the tall fence behind them, placing itself between Yuuko and the woman holding the belt. The dog brandished his fangs, causing her to hesitate.

"A h— a man doesn't run away! He has to fight!"

"Delusional little brat," the woman snarled. "Do you have ANY idea what I'm trying to do? He's going to be the catalyst for change!"

"You hurt her!"

The girl was dumbfounded by his words. They were, without a doubt, the most idiotic things she'd ever heard...... but even so........

The boy turned around once more.

"It's okay, you don't have to be scared anymore."

If a person like this exists.

Then maybe........ for someone like her.....

Maybe it would be okay for her to cry.